Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Get ready for some HIGH-TECH ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 27 March, 2012, at 10:47:25 am
... Tech Session at this year's BRBS.
It all has to do with vibrations.
If you've ever worried about your engine's IMS or about the sound the timing chains are making lately, or just about any weird sound inside the engine, BRBS 2012 is the place for you!

Our special Guest Speaker this year is Mr. Mark Jennings.
Mark has been a PCA member since 1989 and today he drives a 2002 Carrera 996 which he bought new.

Professionally, Mark is a consulting engineer that specializes in Industrial Equipment Vibration Analysis.
He is a recognized expert in this subject and does a lot of work with the US Department of Energy and with the commercial Nuclear Community in the Northwest on rotating equipment vibration issues.
Mark also provides vibration monitoring, analysis and design prevention training to a broad list of commercial clients.

For industry, Mark looks at pumps, fans, compressors, motors, generators, turbines, gear drives, diesels and many other pieces of equipment that rotate and that have the potential to self-destruct due to balance, alignment or high vibration issues.

However, in the past year or so, Mark has been successful in collecting and analyzing vibration data on Porsche M96 and M97 engines using special analysis equipment and monitoring techniques.
What that means to owners of Boxsters, Caymans and Carreras that utilize these engines, is a quick way to determine if there is a cam chain, a primary chain an IMS bearing or even ignition issues associated with their cars with no disassembly required.

Mark has gracefully accepted BRBS's invitation to join us at Little Switzerland this year and will speak to us in great detail about his work and more importantly he will be bringing his equipment with him and will provide individual engine monitoring for about 60 cars at the event.

This vibration analysis is the first in non-intrusive, preventive service ever done on these engines.
Imagine being able to "see", or actually "hear", inside your engine and determine that one of your timing chains is a bit too loose or that the IMS bearing has started to wear, or even better, to get a clean bill of health because your car has a healthy engine!

As I said before, we will be able to "look into" about 60 cars at the event.
The procedure is very simple:
Mark will bolt-on a vibration sensor to the bottom of your car's engine, on an existing bolt.
That sensor is connected to his equipment which he will bring along on a 1 minute ride in your car.
The necessary data is collected and then analyzed and you get your results.
We will be asking for a $25.00 contribution per car, but all profits will go to the Blue Ridge Foundation.
Since we already have 86 cars registered as of today, it will have to be first come, first served.

If you are interested in this exclusive service, please send me an e-mail to Pedro at Pedrosgarage dot com with VIBRATION ANALYSIS RSVP in the subject line.
No need to send any money now.

If you'd like to read more about the issue, here's a Tech Article that Mark wrote and was published in the INWR PCA Newsletter: Uber Alles.
[inwr.pca.org]

I over-simplified the full article here: [pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

PS: I will eventually move this topic to BRBS, but I thought it would initially reach more interested parties if we leave it here for a few days.

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2012 05:37PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Sign me up smileys with beer thumbs up *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 27 March, 2012, at 11:57:17 am
Re: Sounds like a great opportunity, Pedro. E-mail sent.
ouroboros - Wednesday, 28 March, 2012, at 1:30:22 pm
Supercool....
I sometimes really wish I lived in the US so I could goto these types of events.
Pedro...you need a holiday!
If you are going to RSVP ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 29 March, 2012, at 8:48:23 pm
.... please do it to Pedro@PedrosGarage.com with "Vibration Analysis RSVP" in the subject line.
This assures that everyone who responds is registered, in the order of registration cutoff when we reach the 60 car cap.
Please don't RSVP via PM or to my other e-mails.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Pedro Bonilla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login