Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
WANTED: 986 Boxster S 6 speed transmission
John Appling - Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, at 12:18:09 pm
I am looking for a drivable G86/20 6 speed transmission for my 2000 Boxster S. The volume of the pinion shaft whine has recently increased to the point of serious concern.
If you know of any reliable sources, please also pass that information along.
Many thanks,
John Appling
Hampstead MD
Dismantlers should have lots
grant - Wednesday, 14 November, 2012, at 3:30:37 pm
The demand for 3.2 working motors is large, reputedly due to IMS failures. This leaves a LOT of orphan 6-speeds in dsimantlers' lots. e.g.; LA Porsche Dismantlers.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
To balance that
Boxsterra - Saturday, 17 November, 2012, at 10:37:19 am
these cars have a fortunate side-effect of their design that most times when they're totaled the engine and transmission are unscathed.

IMS failures causing an engine shortage is bogus IMO.
re: IMS - that's what LA dismantlers is hearing *NM*
grant - Saturday, 17 November, 2012, at 1:08:50 pm
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Economics
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 18 November, 2012, at 10:05:45 pm
seems to tell me that, if they were plentiful, their price would be roughly the same as other engines of the same vintage. Not like they are in high demand for installation in other vehicles or for placement under a coffee table so the demand must be for replacement in M96 originally equipped cars and the availability/demand ratio must determine price.
I agree in general with your reasoning
Boxsterra - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 7:30:49 am
How does their price actually compare to other engines of the same vintage?

Also, IMS failures are not the only catastrophic failures in Boxsters.
I went online and looked at Chevy motors
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 3:09:53 pm
just as a random price point and then to the wrecking yards for Boxster motors. In the latter case, I found few available and 4x the cost. So the supply and demand equation must be in favor of demand exceeding supply or they would be, it seems to me, worth darn near nothing because, if no one needed one, there would be no demand and a steady and increasing supply as vehicles crashed.

Curiously, one wrecking yard offered nothing but rebuilt with LN bearings motors...nothing from wrecks.

Not that the engines cost the same new, just that if the supply/demand equilibrium was different, there would be no reason to value the P-car engine over a Honda, Toyota, etc. No intrinsic value, only if you need one.

I recall getting a Mitubishi/Chrysler engine totally rebuilt by a major rebuilder (Jasper) for ~$1k (granted a few years ago).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login