Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Condensation in Front Trunk of 2006 Boxster S
Silver Streak - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 1:24:04 pm
I'm located in Maryland near the Chesapeake Bay and I'm temporarily storing my 2006 Boxster S outside under a Porsche brand outdoor cover (designed specifically for outdoor storage). On several occasions (the first being the worst) I've noticed a roughly 8" x 8" area of what appears to be water condensation in the front trunk. The condensation is always in the same area...on the 5" x 5" plastic access panel above the brake fluid reservoir and the surrounding plastic and on the underside of the trunk lid directly above the access panel. This problem did not manifest itself until I began storing my car outside (until recently, it's always been stored in an attached, but unheated garage). In an effort to trouble shoot the problem, I've discussed it with my servicing Porsche dealer and with several fellow Boxster owners...all to no avail. Other than the possibility that the nearby front trunk light is not turning off as it should when the trunk is closed, and the continuous heat of the bulb causing condensation to form, I have no idea why the condensation is forming. I checked and as best can tell, the light is turning off and a visual inspection the other night seemingly confirmed this. Plus, the battery has not gone dead as it would if the light were on for an extended period. By the way, I regularly trickle charge it using a Porsche charger. Can this light be disabled without removing the bulb? Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem? If so, what was the cause and how did you solve it? My short-term solution (thanks to a fellow Boxster owner) has been to install a moisture-absorbing kit in the front trunk. This should cure the symptom; however, I want to identify and resolve the underlying cause.

P.S. The only reason I'm storing my car outside is I'm in the midst of retiring/re-locating and we sold our nearby home. Upon moving to Florida in mid-February, I intend to return my car to a garage where it belongs. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have saved the roughly $300 cost of the outdoor cover (I already own a Porsche indoor cover) and secured a space in a commercial storage facility...ideally a heated/humidity controlled storage facility.
Re: Condensation in Front Trunk of 2006 Boxster S
steve_wilwerding - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 2:08:18 pm
My only idea is to make sure that the drains are clear.
i think the charger is the cause *NM*
extanker - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 3:17:47 pm
battery discharge? *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 3:19:24 pm
naaa...just temp difference maybe *NM*
extanker - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 3:26:09 pm
not through the trunk.

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World
trash is present.

My time with a trickle charger is very minimal but I seem to remember the battery does outgas some and this can contain water vapor.

Be sure the battery's vent hose is attached to the battery, in good condition, and routed properly.

If you are seeing water/condensation under *rear* trunk lid in area of access bay this can be a cracked coolant tank or a leaking coolant tank cap.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Just to clarify, I always allow the car to cool prior to installing the cover. Also, for safety reasons, I only trickle charge the battery when the weather is favorable. In addition, the car recently underwent it's 4-year service and the front and rear drains were checked/cleaned. As best I can tell, the condensation problem only manifests itself when the charger is disconnected, the front trunk is closed, and the car is locked and covered. It doesn't seem to occur when the car is uncovered.
I just checked and the weather in your area
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 8 December, 2010, at 9:15:40 am
has had a high of around 40 and a low around 25F recently.

I used to store my '99 and '01 outside under a Noah fabric cover in a similar climate (NOVA) and occasionally I'd pull the cover off and put it in the front trunk to take advantage of a nice day to drive it and you'd have thought I'd notice a patch of condensation.

Water vapor and temperature differential....some theories...Got any critters using that spot for a resting place? Tried parking the car in the reverse direction so the sun doesn't shine on that spot? Battery, brake fluid reservoir, window-washing reservoir, drains. You can test the drains by dumping warm water down em. Window Washing fluid...cap on? Enough fresh anti-freeze for the fluid in the window washer fluid tank? Checked the battery for boil-over? Alternator for over-charging?
Re: Condensation in Front Trunk of 2006 Boxster S
longislander1 - Wednesday, 8 December, 2010, at 10:57:57 am
Maybe you should find neighbors who have spare garage space and offer them a few bucks to keep the car until February. There are probably a lot of people who could use the extra money. I know today's cars are better protected against rust and corrosion, but any kind of moisture inside the car sounds nasty. I store my '05 in an unheated garage and have never had the moisture issue you describe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login