Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Optima Battery
EZ AIRE - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 4:06:31 pm
Does anyone know what size Optima is required for the 986 (1999). I'm on the road and need to order a new on and I can't find the info for some reason. I can't remember If its the 34 or the 34R.
Thanks in advance.
BTW, anyone running the Braille on a daily driver?
Re: Optima Battery
NorminHouston - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 4:24:27 pm
Mikefocke's page says 34R for 97-04.
EZ AIRE - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 4:59:45 pm
JFP in PA - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 5:14:15 pm
You are also going to need to buy an adaptor kit (Yellow Dog Motorsports makes a nice one Yellow Dog Motorsports )...........

“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
ff42racer - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 5:47:32 pm
You can make your own plate a lot cheaper.
True enough.........
JFP in PA - Tuesday, 7 December, 2010, at 6:39:56 pm
But the $49 kit is a well made option for those not inclined to fabricate one of their own, and with it, the Optima is a 5 min. install. "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"................

“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
In my MY97, I also needed to replace the OEM positive battery cable w/one a bit longer. Easy to do w/one I bought @ a nearby auto parts store.

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 8 December, 2010, at 9:02:45 am
All of the above sounds spot on.

I used the Yellow Dog kit, just for ease of use, ordered a 34R mail online (delivered price was better than I could find locally and I wasn't in a hurry), and had to replace a cable with one a bit longer from Autozone. The cable is an easy match, take your old one. And pick the thickest cable size (smaller number is better this time IIRC). I think about 2" longer did it.

I wouldn't say it was a 5 minute job doing it the first time but it was a trivial common-sense task and I did it at age 66. Climb into the trunk to get better leverage when removing or installing the battery.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login