Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I remember the intermittent horn problem being discussed years ago on PPBB… I have a 2000 Boxster and am now experiencing the problem. My understanding is the Airbag needs to be removed and the horn grommets replaced. DIY instructions indicate you should disconnect the battery then wait 15 minutes before removing the airbag, by accessing 2 torque screws on the back side of the steering wheel.
Removing the airbag or just working around it makes me uneasy… is there anything else I should know or be cautious about?
Also, is there a part number to reference in replacing the grommets?
Is this an easy DIY… as it seems straight forward.
Thanks for your help… long time PPBB member… frequent Pedro Board reader.
Dorn't worry too much
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 3:19:48 pm
The airbag system is ultra safe. You have to do something colossally foolish to cause the airbag to be accidentally deployed. There are many safety requirements for design of the SRS system, one of which is is that it doesn't errantly deploy even if there is a fault in the system. That is because if it was possible for it to deploy at the wrong time, it could cause an accident and serious injury.

Porsche says that you should wait 1 minute after disconnecting the battery, not 15 minutes. That is a legal requirement, not a safety requirement. There is no risk that "residual charges" will cause the airbag to deploy. Deployment of the airbag requires a specific set of electronic "handshake" signals that by design cannot happen as a result of an electrical spike or sudden disconnection/reconnection.

Most people don't replace the bushings but just use a form of liquid rubber.
Re: Don't worry too much
m2 - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 3:31:49 pm
Good information... thank you! So disconnect battery... wait 1 minute or more... simply unscrew the torque screws... disconnect and remove the air bag... apply liquid rubber and let dry... then replace the air bag and good to go?

What form of liquid rubber? Something you simply brush on?

thanks again.
This is the most common stuff
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 11:19:47 pm
[www.permatex.com]

Available at all auto parts stores.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2011 11:20PM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
I just did this repair myself on my 97 Boxster. I read many reports of various ways of fixing this problem an decided to go with a more permanent fix than liquid rubber. I have the standard 4 spoke wheel. I bought the horn contact "retaining frame 993 347 088 01" for about $60 (new found on ebay) which has the rubber gommets bonded in place. These grommets are the source of the problem but are not serviced separately. The hardest part was getting enough leverage to loosen the two T-30 fasteners accessed through the holes in the back of the steering wheel. It's very straight forward after that. The frame itself is held on with four brass fasteners. I used a 19mm socket for them. They came off easily. Oh, be sure to locate your radio code before you disconnect the battery.
Hopefully it will be another 14 years before I have to worry about it again.
BillM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login