Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I POD Interface help pls!
tw - Wednesday, 8 December, 2010, at 10:51:19 pm
I have a 2001 Boxster S with a stock CDR 220 S radio/cd player. does anyone have advice for adapting this to integrate with a 5th generation 2009/2010 I Pod Nano?

Muchas gracias
Check out Solisto
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 8 December, 2010, at 11:41:14 pm
Avoid Denison
Dension is fine, but not for '01
Eric (Plug Guy) - Thursday, 9 December, 2010, at 12:10:41 pm
It's not an optical vehicle. Copper only so no real perfect solution.
Re: I POD Interface help pls!
Paul S. - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 12:06:48 pm
The 01's are easy--I don't know if Rob has the PPBB archives up that go back far enough, but I followed those instructions way back when on my 02 Boxster S, and then used a proclips bracket to hold the iPod just to the right of the stereo/HVAC stack, so it was in easy reach of the driver. Unfortunately, 8+ years later, and I can no longer remember what all was involved. But it wasn't hard--I actually paid a local car audio place I trust, to do the work. It was $100 which was well worth it.

Current Porsche: PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50

Past: 02 986 S

01 996 Turbo

00 Millenium Coupe

99 996 C2

99 Boxster
Rob in CO - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 12:50:19 pm
I did this a few months ago in conjunction with a console delete on my '01S. I ordered a cable from iWireP. Unfortunately, the cord that also charges won't work with the 5th gen Nano, which is what I have. It plays fine, though, and the installation is 15 minutes at most.
Paul S. - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 1:16:36 pm
Essentially what the install was is to get the aux in connector cable from Becker, and then a cigarette lighter dock charging cable that charges the current iPods and also has an aux out jack.

The iPhone/iPod connects to the dock connecting charge cable, and behind the dash is a cigarette lighter outlet the adapter plugs into, and a mini rca cable from the aux out of the charger to the aux in Becker cable, and viola. You do need to enable the aux in in the becker head unit, and wire in a ground loop isolator for noise. When done, this is what the finished install looked like.

The second, twisted wire you see around the dock connector cable, runs to the switch that changes between the CD changer and iPod, which is an extra wrinkle required if you have a CD Changer. If you don't, then you don't.

The only thing that has changed in the parts since I did mine 8 years ago was Apple changing the charging setup on the newer iPods. I haven't looked as I don't need one, but I suspect by now there are car chargers with aux out jacks that are compatible with all ipods and iphones.

Update: Looks like this car charger may work: [www.jr.com]]

Current Porsche: PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50

Past: 02 986 S

01 996 Turbo

00 Millenium Coupe

99 996 C2

99 Boxster

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 01:36PM by Paul S.. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login