Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Convertible top tip
dghii - Saturday, 15 October, 2011, at 9:17:09 pm
I had the pleasure of learning all about the convertible top and clamshell operations on a 1998 Boxster and then my 2000 Boxster S. First off, kudos to those who provided such wonderful instructions, pictures and support.

I'd like to add a rather small contribution to knowledge base. I apologize if my information is already known but I didn't see it in my searches.

1. I was scared I would really struggle timing the two transmissions. I found a solution that worked easily on both cars and really minimized the effort involved.
While you have the clamshell and top disconnected from v-lever arms and the drive cables disconnected from the motor, rotate the v-lever arm until one side (clamshell) is vertical. Use a small torpedo level against the arm to get the arm plumb. Repeat on the other side and then connect the cables back up to the motor. Attach the clamshell press your convertible top button to lower the clamshell to a position slightly above the trunk. The clamshell is easy to 'eyeball' in this position to make sure the two sides are even. Using the level, I was able to get two sides timed in one try.

2. This one is quick. If you have the top and clamshell disconnected from the v-levers for some reason (maintenance or repairs), it is much easier connect the top before connecting the clamshell. Simply slide the clamshell backward and out of the way and connect the two top rods. Rotate the top as needed (some mid-position) and then move the clamshell until you can easily attach it to the v-lever arms.

I apologize if this information is 'Duh' for everyone but it wasn't for me!

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login