Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
..and then you have good, shear-resistant oil.

I run 10W40 synthetic in New England and New Jersey. or good 5w40 (syntek, ELF/total, rotella T, many others)

Grant
“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
0W-40? *NM*
Jayusa123 - Thursday, 9 December, 2010, at 11:38:20 pm
We are decidedly not fans of 0W-anything.................
JFP in PA - Friday, 10 December, 2010, at 10:25:49 am
Extremely poor UoA’s, inability to “stay in grade” (advertised weights) after low miles, etc………….. You are much better off with either a 5W or 10W-40 product, preferably not one from Mobil 1……

See my other pastime at www.gothamcityracing.net
Not at all; and considering some of the issues Toyota has had over the years with their oiling systems, I'm not surprised either........ At least when they went from a 5W-30 to a 5W-20 for the 4.6L in 2010, at least they admitted it was for fuel economy reasons and recommended changing it (if it is a full synthetic) at least every 5K miles. God only knows why they would want you to use a 0W-5.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 06:30PM by JFP in PA. (view changes)
Is there harm in substituting
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 10 December, 2010, at 9:49:12 pm
5w40 for the 5w20 Honda specifies?
Re: Is there harm in substituting
JFP in PA - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 10:34:12 am
On a Honda, unless it is highly modified and run really hard, I'd go with a good 5W-30 (Castrol has a very highly regarded Syntec in that weight). Honda street engines seem to like that weight range and the added "hot" weight protection is a plus, without sacrificing flow when cold or fuel mileage. If the car is modified, or run hard (track days) in a hot weather environment, then I’d consider the 5W-40.

mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 12:33:04 pm
I ask because I own a 4 cyl CRV and it calls for the 0W20, I filled it once with some Mobil1 0W40 I no longer used in the Boxster but didn't know if that was bad or not. Change it at 3k irrespective of the mfgr's recommendation.
JFP in PA - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 6:05:24 pm
I'm sure that a 5W-40 won't harm the CRV in any way, other than a miniscule drop in MPG. As for the 0W-40 Mobil, as long as you "short changed" it, it should also be a "no foul, no penalty" issue..............

Capt Ron - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 11:38:14 pm
I run Amsoil 5W-40 in my 2001 MDX. 111,800 miles. About 90% urban cycle so I run a 7,500 mile oil change interval. No smoke and negligible consumption between changes.
I would suspect there is no harm....
grant - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 10:47:32 am
First, most manufacturers are recommending the absolute thinnest oil possible, so that their CAFE figures go up. Millions of dollars are at stake and may be triggered by small fractions of a MPG. So we have to take suggested viscosity ranges with that as a back-drop.

Now, what would be the danger of a 0w40 vs 0w20?

Not cold flow. Cold they are the same.

Hot, they differ. The protection of 40w is better. Does it have side effects? Harder to pump. Higher oil pressures. Are these likely to damage anything? I cant see how. The viscosity of 40w hot will STILL be far lower than 0W cold. So it realy cant be possible for it to damage anything.

QED.

Grant
JFP in PA
Extremely poor UoA’s, inability to “stay in grade” (advertised weights) after low miles, etc………….. You are much better off with either a 5W or 10W-40 product, preferably not one from Mobil 1……

I would like your mileage recommendation for changing oil when using Porsche recommended Mobil 1 0w40. Mileage is 80% highway. Car is always driven minimum 20minutes.
services under similar driving conditions.

One can't know the engine to engine differences but if one wanted to run Mobil 1 0w-40 I think given the percentage of highway driving and the length of the drive you state for your car I think you'd be ok.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
While i too have moved away from M1 0W40....
grant - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 10:46:28 am
i agree 5-7k, given your advantageous driving conditions is, IMO, very conservative.

Don't put much weight on the fact that <1 0W40 is recommended by the factory. They approve dozens of (better) oils. They recommend M1 0W40 by virtue of a commercial (marketing) agreement with XOM.

Actually, if i cant find a preferred oil cheaply, i mix 50/50 M1 0W40 and M1 15w50, both of which are always on "sale" at wally world. result is a high zddp 7.5 w 45 with pretty darn good HTHS numbers.

I prefer ELF/total excellium 5w40, syntec 5w40 or 10w40, rotella T5w40 (cummins, peterbilt, mack approval :-0) or when i get it, my pail of 5w40 EDGE.

Grant
Re: We are decidedly not fans of 0W-anything.................
JFP in PA - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 2:01:52 pm
We stopped using Mobil 1's 0W-40 a long time ago, when UoA's showed the oil was basically toast after only 2-3K miles of mild to cool weather use, once we even saw that level of performance in a Cadillac, which is ridiculous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 02:08PM by JFP in PA. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login