Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Clutch and flywheel repair questions (2001 Boxster S)
artandscience - Monday, 31 October, 2011, at 2:46:03 pm
So the shop told me that my clutch needs replacing and that they hear some chatter from the flywheel as well so I should expect to replace that.

I'm thinking that what I should do (55k on the car) is:

replace clutch
replace flywheel - or can it be "refaced" since it is so spendy?
replace rear main seal
replace IMS bearing
replace clutch slave cylinder
renew transmission fluid (manual)

Anything else while I'm in there?

I guess the big question is whether I go with the LN kit or just replace the bearing with the stock Porsche one - thinking that when I do the
clutch again in 30-40k, I'll just replace the IMS bearing every time.

Second big decision point is whether the flywheel can be repaired in any way to fix the chatter issue or whether it needs to be replaced. Anyone have
experience with making this decision?

thanks much for any advice,
Stefan in Seattle
Don't know the $ difference on stock vs LN. I'd go with the aftermarket bearing if $ is not a factor, no first hand info but I did my homework and talked with a few shops. One swap out should be enough

I've yet to do a clutch job and NOT replaced the flywheel! (1998 Boxster) there is no resurfacing in my humble opinion! It pretty much self distrucks! It's too bad, it's a expensive part

SJ
LN = $619, stock should probably be $40-50 (haven't priced yet).
YIKES!!
Sheriff John - Tuesday, 1 November, 2011, at 12:57:23 am
I only Considered LN at a material level. At that price it should be a great bearing.

I think the IMS issue is fear mongering at its finest. Mostly by discussion boards. This board excluded winking smiley the local shops in the so cal area has joined the band wagon as well. After buying a 996, I had convinced myself that my car was a time bomb and a local shop wanted me to do a preventative clutch job, tear the engine down to replace the 2005 non serviceable bearing for $1000's of $$, just for some piece of mind. I then got real. I asked the boards and shops if anyone has seen a 2005-2006 non serviceable IMS bearing go bad? Guess what? No one had seen it, but still I was told that it would be Good Insurance to move forward with a replacement.

Screw that! I have a solid 2005 996 motor and my 1998 Boxster, now my son's, with 172,000 miles is still going strong and it has the original bearing!

If you are doing a $3k clutch job and it's only $50 more bucks, why not? And if you still can't sleep at night, chage the oil every 5k miles and then just enjoy the car! I can't believe how much more fun my cars are now that I've said the heck with that bearing! smiling smiley

SJ
read up on the LN cultivated crystal timken bearings with huge hardness -- most importantly designed to catch oil; charles did a great job overkill --- maybe. i like overkill here.

grant
Is the clutch slipping? Do you hear chatter?
tom coughlin - Tuesday, 1 November, 2011, at 9:28:41 am
55K miles seems low for a clutch job unless abused. What are the symptoms?
a comment...
por911(bc) - Tuesday, 1 November, 2011, at 12:31:48 pm
With the age and miles, I would replace it. When the center flex section gets tired on them, they really let a lot of vibrations through, as well as offering up a rough idle. Yes, it is spendy, but worth it over the long haul. I would probably replace some of the ancillaries in the bell housing area, guide sleeve(wt seals), pivot, and check the rms. Have them use new hardware(pressure plate and flywheel bolts) as well.
regards
Re: a comment...
artandscience - Tuesday, 1 November, 2011, at 12:59:10 pm
Yep.. was planning on replacing any wear items when they were in there, as well as the RMS. Also, use new hardware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login