Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
What I'd like to see Porsche do
Bobtesa - Friday, 10 December, 2010, at 8:18:52 pm
We have talked for years on ppbb about 911 power in a Boxster. If you wait long enough you get it – my 2008S has the hp of the 1997 911 – but, it would be nice if we could have current 911 engines in Boxsters. While Porsche doesn’t say so, the thinking here is that the 911 is Porsche’s “flagship” car and the two can never compete. But, that was when Porsche only had two lines – 911 and Boxster. Now with the a Porsche SUV and sedan selling so well, 911s are a much lower percent of their sales. So, this distinction may no longer be necessary.

I’d like to see Porsche offer 911s and Boxsters on an equal footing as different models with the buyer being able to specify the engine. This implies a 911 with a 2.7 liter engine, 3 dash gauges, small wheels/tires, etc for about what a base Boxster would cost. This more affordable 911 would appeal to folks who want a rear engine car and a back seat. From there you can move up the model range for 911s and Boxsters all the way to a TT 911 and Boxster. I understand that the mid-engine version will outperform the rear-engine car and that may be anathema to Porsche, but it’s time they got over that -- their super cars (the misnamed Carerra GT) and F1 cars are all mid-engine. OK, it’ll never happen, but it’s nice to think about.
You want the option of a $100k+ Boxster?
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 10 December, 2010, at 9:47:57 pm
I'd preface this post by saying my current ideal Boxster in the configurator is a $94k Boxster. I don't want to think what my ideal 911 would be.

Seems to me if they aren't going to kill the revenue stream, they have to pretty much move the Boxster up-market to where the 911 is now if they are going to make em look alike (Cayman) and perform alike (or better). Yes that leaves room at the bottom for the 914-like mini-Boxster 4-cylinder. But it places 4 more models into the already 11 model 911 range. And people are already saying there are too many 911s.

More HP usually means more cooling needed, bigger brakes, more weight....doesn't it? Is that Boxster still as toss-able?

The performance of a 911 in a Boxster...can't you get 450 normally- aspirated HP now for an extra $30k? How many people can handle that? Pay for that? Not this one.

With a 5 year life cycle for a design, tough market conditions, emissions restrictions and higher gas prices looming in now the time for more HP?

Could the spectacular introduction at the Detroit auto show be the new Boxster/Cayman?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 09:49PM by mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC. (view changes)
Re: You want the option of a $100k+ Boxster?
Bobtesa - Friday, 10 December, 2010, at 10:02:32 pm
Oh, it's not that I can afford a $100K car, my 2008S is at my limit, but that doesn't mean I don't drool over them. I was justing thinking that 1) folks on this board have desired Boxsters with 911 power, and 2) now there maybe little reason for Porsche NOT to provide it. with the SUV and Panamera, the 911 is not the total marque and doesn't need to be so protected.
It could be done...
JM-Stamford,CT - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 10:03:40 am
They could offer the "912" like they did years back.

They could offer the "Boxster GTX" or whatever with an upgraded powerplant.

The problem is that the 912 would cost a similar amount to the 911 to produce.
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login