Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
....a little disappointed to be honest. I may be going nuts, but after getting an Infiniti FX35 as a daily driver due to a new job requiring a 25 mile each way commute, I don't miss driving the Boxster at all. The FX feels more powerful off the line (has the same 3.5L 280hp engine as what's in the 350Z), has power everything, heated seats, and feels safer. Believe it or not, the exhaust note even sounds better in the FX. Maybe the first 5 minutes of the drive with shaking steering wheel (flat spotted tires), the small interior cabin, and rough ride on the low profile 18s had a lot to do with it, but the Boxster was really not much fun to drive in this cold winter. Perhaps I'll fall in love again in the Spring when the top goes down again, but for now, I put her back to an extended sleep with the battery maintainer on...

Boxster out after a long sleep....

And back to bed... Someone talk some sense into me, because I almost feel like selling her. I never thought I'd actually like an SUV! sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 02:24PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
You are comparing to completely different vehicles.

Now as it's getting colder, springs, seats and other suspension bits are getting stiffer, that along with the flat spots you mentioned, does not make for a pleasant ride, specially on rough roads. Also, your Boxster is just a tad, maybe a tad and a half older than the Infinity. I'm sure if you compared your Boxster to a much newer one, you'd find quite a difference too.

Now with the cold temperatures, the new SUV is going to give you a much smoother ride and if you've got lots of power goodies, they can be fun to play with on your drives. Come warmer temperatures in Spring, I'd be surprised if your feelings didn't change. Since I've always loved roaders, I know if I was driving an SUV, I'd be looking for a very large can opener before going out for a drive. grinning smiley

I know there isn't another vehicle that I've driven that makes me feel as involved and connected to the road as the Boxster does. I do find the experience is at its best when the top and windows are down. That's why I never drive it with the top up unless it's raining or the temperature drops below the freezing point. Of course, I do have heated seats that keep my buns hot smiley grinning smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Yep, I'm sure you're right that the feelings will change quite a bit as the warm weather comes back...it's just that that's sooooo long away. Lol. Thing is, however, I was never really interested in driving my wife's Audi or the Cayenne S loaner that my dealer gave me each time I brought my Boxster in. Something about this FX that is just fun...most likely the exhaust note, looks (I never liked the Pepper's styling), and instant throttle response. And yes, the Boxster is getting long in the tooth...things like the switch gear and other interior bits really feel a bit cheap now in comparison to the newer cars. It's also my first SUV type vehicle, so the view up high is kinda novel to me, and I have a false sense of security with that and its size over the Box.

Finally, I think even though the Infiniti is worth more than my Boxster, I don't care where I park it as I do with the Boxster, as I really don't care if I get dings or scratches on the FX. The 986 is a high maintenance girl. winking smiley Come on warm weather!! winking smiley
BAD Boxtaboy!, Bad!
986rgt - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 5:47:43 pm
Anymore talk like that and we're taking your computer priveledges away. Next thing you'll be saying is that you like snow, and wish it could 10 degrees and cloudy all year! And what does your son think of this? Huh? I bet he would be pretty upset that you were having these feelings about his car! smiling smiley Just enjoy the SUV for the winter, then enjoy the boxster in the summer with the top down, your son by your side, and your friends waiting for you at a TSBL event. Oh yeah, I bet your local FX club doesn't have uber-cool tech days!

Steve

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Re: BAD Boxtaboy!, Bad!
CarreraLicious - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 6:12:51 pm
986rgt
Anymore talk like that and we're taking your computer priveledges away. Next thing you'll be saying is that you like snow, and wish it could 10 degrees and cloudy all year! And what does your son think of this? Huh? I bet he would be pretty upset that you were having these feelings about his car! smiling smiley Just enjoy the SUV for the winter, then enjoy the boxster in the summer with the top down, your son by your side, and your friends waiting for you at a TSBL event. Oh yeah, I bet your local FX club doesn't have uber-cool tech days!

Steve

Hehe. You're right. I need to get back to reality. But these guys do actually mod their FXs..and attend Captree!... grinning smiley

And I just did my first mod on the truck last week... Aluminum pedals...something that didn't require any drilling thru the pedals...hear that Porsche? winking smiley Although I'm not sure why a SUV would need aluminum pedals. Lol.
Now I've heard everything! eye popping smiley
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 7:23:02 pm
First you have a son, than you get an SUV and now........ grinning smiley

Ed
smileys with beer

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: Now I've heard everything! eye popping smiley
CarreraLicious - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 7:37:19 pm
Hey, happy holidays Ed. Nice avatar! Yeah, I must be getting old. Lol.
Dude, you need your head examined. winking smiley
JM-Stamford,CT - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 8:59:40 am
who are you and what have you done with my friend Rich?

The Rich that I know would never be saying the stuff coming off my computer screen.

Perhaps we need to check the password, he must have been hacked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 09:05AM by JMstamford,ct. (view changes)
We are holding him ransom. grinning smiley *NM*
CarreraLicious - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 1:28:15 pm
My Boxster (05 base) loves the heat
garyinseattle - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 11:19:54 am
I am sure there are lot's of reasons, but when the temp gets above 80 or so, my Boxster really starts to feel good. Tires get a little stickier and smoother, steering feels a little smoother, and the engine note just seems more intense. Can't wait for that one week a year when this happens.
Ahh, just like every year at Christmas, as kids, we'd get all jacked about our newest toys under the tree, but when that newness wore off a few months later, we'd gravitate back to our old reliables again. And, it never failed, they'd take us back with never a complaint or never ask why we left them on the shelf for so long gathering dust. If your new toy, er, SUV still has you jacked up a year or so from now, maybe your Porsche days are behind you. The Japanese vehicles certainly come with all the bells and whistles that Porsches don't, even to some extent at a cost. Maybe long separations can do this. So, I might be talking from what i don't know (mine only stays garaged when the roads are snowy), but the cold never seemed to dampen the enjoyment my Porsches have provided over the years.

So, give it some time before putting the Box on Auto Trader, as you may really miss her once she's gone for good. Sometimes it takes that loss to see how well you really had it in the first place.
Very good advice....thx. Yep, I will keep her at least till Spring, to see if that flame is still there when she's running in her element. Right now, it's my wifey and friends here who are convincing me to keep it. smiling smiley
Hey, Boxtaboy! Hope all is well with you. I hear you on the FX. You've now got a car that's fun to drive, loaded with amenities, can be parked at the local Wal-mart, probably has superior dealer service and you can take the entire family for a drive. As you know, I've had kind of a love-hate relationship with my Boxster and have felt that there's life after Porsche. I'm not one of those folks blindly loyal to the marque. But, if you have the garage space and don't mind the insurance, I would hang on to the Boxster because you can still enjoy a convertible in the summer months and, for the relatively little money you'll get for it, you won't be able to find a comparable replacement. Those are the two reasons I'm holding on to mine. Plus, I've reconciled myself to the fact that I can live with an IMS failure if it occurs. I'm prepared to write off the hit if my engine fails and would then sell my car for parts. In the meantime, though, I still have a great summer driver.
Yep, I hear that. Been lightly snowing here lately, and so that's prob why I don't much wanna drive the Box. Must say though, I'm an exhaust freak like Gundo, and so much of the allure of the FX to me is that raspy exhaust note that sounds just like a 350z or G35 at low revs....something my Boxster doesn't have even with my aftermarket sports exhaust. Do look forward to putting that top down again though in the Spring. Come on warm weather!!

Glad you're also keepin your Box.
well that;s one step forward into being an old guy ( i am fighting it)

next spring, put the top down. drive over to the saw mill river parkway , give it an italian tuneup , go to lime rock and put it on the track, it will come back to you.

somehow i can't help but think of Peter Pan. fight
Lol, yes- I must be getting old. Good advice Clif. Good to see you here again.
I thought the 350Z sounded good, until I got this!!
dennisafrompa - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 5:04:27 pm
...rude and crude. It rumbles nicely. I'll do a cross country with it this winter. At least it's not a truck.:-)
[home.comcast.net]
What's wrong with liking a truck? winking smiley
JM-Stamford,CT - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 6:56:44 pm
If you have to ask....
Re: What's wrong with liking a truck? winking smiley hey i did it too
Clif R - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 11:03:30 am
hot smileyHey nothing wrong with a truck, you can use it to tow your boxster on a trailer and give it an airing out. i bought a '10 bmw x5 Diesel, gets 30 mpg on the road, loads of power and yes i can tow the boxster or the club coupe anywhere.

but all kidding aside , when you goto starbucks everybody has a truck, you have to go on an ESBB (Eastern shore boxster buddies) tour
LOL. Nice one Dennis grinning smiley Have to confess though...
Clam - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 6:40:21 pm
my daily is a "truck" as well.
Clam
Re: I thought the 350Z sounded good, until I got this!!
Wayne K - Wednesday, 15 December, 2010, at 2:26:09 pm
dennisafrompa
...rude and crude. It rumbles nicely. I'll do a cross country with it this winter. At least it's not a truck.:-)
[home.comcast.net]

Ford got the sound right on these cars. Here is my daily driver that sounds just like yours.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 02:45PM by Wayne K. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login