Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
One of the Year's worst selling cars???? 2010 Cayman????
Dan08BoxS - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 4:24:48 pm
I saw this in a paper today...and it caught me off a bit.

" The Porsche Cayman is down 31%. Porsche hopes the newly introduced Cayman R, featuring Porsche's most-powerful mid-engine, will add a little excitement to boost sales."

It kind of struck me odd.... as I have heard a lot of folks belly aching about not being able to find Caymans..... I assumed sales were fairly strong. I saw no mention of any other cars. Perhaps others on the board have insight....
Re: One of the Year's worst selling cars???? 2010 Cayman????
Davzin - Saturday, 11 December, 2010, at 5:22:54 pm
Suppose it could be said that it's hard to sell 'em if you aren't making 'em....

Anyone know the production #s??
Word I get from the various dealers...
MarcW - Sunday, 12 December, 2010, at 3:19:04 pm
I've spoken with regarding a 2010/2011 Cayman is...Porsche just ain't making that many. The same has been reported in various indy Porsche car mags too.

Porsche (and its dealers) got burned big time on the 2008/2009 Caymans (remember I bought a new '08 in April of 2009 for $12K off sticker and better than book trade in allowance on my 06 GTO) and there were even better deals around) and Porsche reportedly elected to cut production vs. having to offer factory to dealer and factory to buyer incentives.

One dealer when I asked about Cayman availability told me I should consider building my own Cayman S (or R) on the Porsche web site and ordering it cause what litte stock is coming in is already spoken for.

Eh, I can wait.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Could it be...
Bobtesa - Sunday, 12 December, 2010, at 7:10:59 pm
that folks have finally figured out the Cayman is a Boxster coupe and NOT a lesser priced 911? There was speculation here a while back on this topic that folks who don't know the Porsche line up that well thought Caymans were in the 911 line. These people may have dropped out of the Cayman market, along with folks (like me!) who did not buy a Cayman becuase it did not make sense to pay a $5K premium for the coupe. No other car made is more expensive in coupe than cab version. Forget about an extra few horses, it just never made sense to price the Cayman above the Boxster. No wonder sales are down and hence production to match.
or wouldn't assign the status to it that Porsche's pricing suggested. Which is why Cayman sales numbers are low. It is not a good buy, although it is a good car. (I of course remind you that I bought a new 2008 Cayman but only when there was a heck of a deal on the car, getting the car for around $50K vs. the $62K sticker price. And I'd buy another one today trading in the Turbo and possibly the Boxster too but not for what Porsche is asking for a Cayman S.)

It occurs to me that Porsche is reluctant to let the Cayman seek its natural price level, Porsche instead wants to try to keep the Cayman price propped up, artificially inflated in case it somehow becomes the successor to the 911 should the 911 fall out of favor and lose its cachet.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
boxsterd - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 12:30:30 am
It kinda makes sense...I mean unless you hate convertibles, why not buy a Boxster for LESS money?
just to get the newer version of the car, engine, PDK and PCCBs in the lowest cost sheetmetal.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
You'd really pay a premium for the PBBC option. I would if I won the lottery but the thought of ever having to replace one of those rotors....even if my driving style these days predicts I'd never have to...
that would be the 1st option I'd drop off if the price of the car a budget stretcher with that option present.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
IFlyLow - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 8:40:49 am
The Cayman just didn't fit in with the rest of that article. The article was highlighting cars like Suzuki and Smartcar. Cayman was in a completely different market than anything else they were talking about. They could have put motorhomes on the list just as easily. Anything to raise interest.
IFlyLow
The Cayman just didn't fit in with the rest of that article. The article was highlighting cars like Suzuki and Smartcar. Cayman was in a completely different market than anything else they were talking about. They could have put motorhomes on the list just as easily. Anything to raise interest.

If I recall, that article also listed the Mazda RX-8 - which I would consider in the same class as the Cayman - albeit at the bottom of the class.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login