Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Don't ever buy a car!
Meredith in Atlanta - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 2:10:14 am
Having reported on numerous issues in the past with Boxsters and my Cayman S, I will say, it doesn't get better with other cars. I parked my Volvo C30 at work the other day, Wednesday, and when I returned to the car at 3pm, found the rear drivers-side lip above the wheel/tire on the ground, along with some scratches. Obviously someone did a "park and run". On Monday I will see if they have any tapes. In the meantime, Charley did a fantastic job of blacktaping it alltogether to make it easier on the eyes.

We guess the damage to be about $1200. I didn't, and will not, report it to USAA as I am on their shlist.

This just, of course, throws me into the "why even bother having a decent car"? dilemma, but also the "I might as well be driving a Porsche" dichotomy. What I really want is peace across the world and a 993.

Is that too much to ask?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2011 02:12AM by Meredith in Atlanta. (view changes)
Re: Don't ever buy a car!
MikenOH - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 8:44:53 am
Sorry to here about the scratch and run. It never ends--one reason why my Boxster will never be a DD.

While a 993 is doable, I suspect we are in for a very bumpy stretch as far as world peace goes; too many countries around the world with governments in play and old grudges to settle. We live as they say in "interesting times".
A 993 ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 9:01:31 am
... is a great car but I wouldn't have it as a daily driver.
They are still very sought-after cars which have held their value quite well.
On the other hand, a Boxster or Boxster S from 2000 - 2004 can be had for very little money.
$10,000 - $15,000 for a decent example will get your permagrin back on your face.
Go for it Mer.
Happy Porscheing (soon)
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
You could think of it this way:
Laz - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 9:03:22 am
A "decent" car doesn't have to be a "fancy" car.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry to hear that, Mer.
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 10:17:04 am
The 993 or any other Porsche is going to be a lot more doable than world peace, I'm afraid. When you have people pepper spraying or shooting each other because of shopping, you're sure never going to get all the countries to get along. It sure would be nice if everyone did get along and use their energy to help one another and build.

I gthink it's up to each of use to try to set an example. You never know who might be watching and have it catch on. cool smiley

Hope you get your car fixed up like new and good luck with your next Porsche.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
sdm100 - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 10:56:53 am
When I am driving my 993 I really don't give a damn about world peace only may own. Sorry but when you are immersed in this amazing automobile everything else is trivialsmiling smiley
It is almost impossible to keep any car nice in ATL....
jg wnc - Monday, 28 November, 2011, at 2:08:20 pm
Between the idiots on the road and the idiots in parking lots.......

On the road, I am a careful and alert, but somewhat aggressive (but not overly aggressive). In parking lots, I am fortunate to be in good health and don't mind walking, so I park it as far away as possible from the masses and always try to find an end spot to that I reduce the possibility of door dings or damage by 50%. This still didn't stop a guy in a Mustang from putting a major gouge in my driver's side door at a restaurant a few years ago. The good news is that so far, I have no door dings on my 2001.

Hang in there, Mer!
patrick - Monday, 28 November, 2011, at 4:17:15 pm
It happens no matter what you drive or where you park. I don't think I've ever owned a car that has not had something happen to it my fault or someone else. I had my wife park her brand new BMW in an isolated part of the parking lot where she worked and an old lady took out the door pulling in next to her because she "got nervous". Unlike your case the woman left a note but the pristine new factory paintwork was repainted on three body panels. I was really down about it like you because we do not buy brand new cars very often.
We have beater cars for bad areas and everyday driving. My wife's old Mercedes came home one day from a bad area where she worked and it looked like someone beat the front fender in several places with a pipe. We decided not to fix it. You just suck it up because people do this stuff and it happens and unfortunately it is part of the experience of owning a car. A car is vulnerable sitting in an open public spot so just get it fixed and move on.
I think the suggestion of getting a used Boxster as an every day driver is a good one and you will not feel too bad if something happens to it.
Cheer up Mer I know its money out of your pocket. I wish I had all the money back for things like this that I got stuck paying more but I can't. Be happy and thankful for the important stuff. Buy that Porsche.
Meredith in Atlanta - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 5:47:49 pm
Ha! A co-worker saw my patch job today and we were laughing because he said I should just do the patch side on the other side to make it look like that's how it was designed.

Heh.
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 6:16:52 pm
Mer....a long time ago I suggested you get one of these:

It's still good advise drinking smiley
Meredith in Atlanta - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 7:11:41 pm
Not sure how the mileage is, though...???
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 7:45:34 pm
Meredith in Atlanta
Not sure how the mileage is, though...???

You'd be in great shape, Mer. It doesn't use a drop of gas. Your biggest challange would be to get the city of Atlanta to unstall the overhead electric grid to run it.

......and on rainy days you'd be shocked at what would happen. winking smiley
Too bad you could not do what I did....
Tony in Whittier - Thursday, 1 December, 2011, at 11:50:17 am
I was in my car the other day. I parked far to the left on the last left parking stall. I was still in the car because I was finishing a call. Someone parked in the stall next to me and was to the far left of his stall. I looked at the beater car and decided that we would ding my doors when he opened it. So, I fired up the car and moved to another stall. I think I prevented one ding that day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login