Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Boxster clutch spring does not return when starting
patloc - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 3:41:25 pm
When I engage the clutch to start the clutch does not return. When I pull up with my toe and drive it seems to work OK. Any suggestions?
Re: Boxster clutch spring does not return when starting
extanker - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 4:12:04 pm
try a fluid flush and a lookee/feelee at the pedal pivot
Re: Boxster clutch spring does not return when starting
patloc - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 4:47:47 pm
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

patloc
$20 or so at your porsche or audi dealer. Did it on my audi 90 20v (!) twice.

Grant
Thanks for the info. Sounds like what I need.
On the 986, there is a plastic line that runs from the clutch master cyinder in the front back to the slave on the side of the tranny in the back.

IIRC, the plastic line is blue and connects to what is basically a flexible brake line that then connects to a metal line that looks like a steel curly-fry that connects to the slave in the tranny.

The plastic line is connected to the brake line using a brass pressure fitting - it is near the passenger rear wheel well - should be just inboard of the chassis seam and ahead of the half-shaft. This fittings have a tendency to go and leak hydraulic fluid, which can cause the clutch to drop.

If you are driving the car, I am guessing it is probably the return spring as grant and extanker diagnosed, but you may also want to jack up the corner of the car (USE JACKSTANDS!) and check the fitting to see if it is failing and leaking fluid, since once it goes you cannot operate the clutch, and thus the car. It is an easy thing to check and worth the piece of mind.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 12:55PM by Red_Lightnin!. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login