Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Coolant
Da-man - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 8:12:05 pm
What is the recommended brand of coolant or does it matter?
Re: Coolant
Alcantera - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 10:17:06 pm
The coolant in your car is supposed to last for the life of the car, however the coolant tank will split or the water pump may go, then you are going to need to replace it. The Porsche fluid is expensive and has additives that neutralize the minerals in European water. my thought is how much do you want to spend? are you miles from a dealership. prestone is guaranteed for all makes , I am sure this could be debated for the next month, Just as the kind of fuel, oil or tires has been. In short if your close to a dealership and don't mind spending the money then you will be putting what came with the car, and all things considered that's the safe bet, If your low on money, miles from Porsche then prestone is fine, What do I have in my car? I don't know! its pink and my local Indy uses Fuchs oil so I'm guessing its Fuchs. Its much more important to check your levels,and the freezing point than the type of fluid .
don't change it at all. (I advocate changing the coolant every 4 years or so but it is up to you how often you want to change it.) Use distilled water and mix 50:50.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Coolant
dghii - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 10:49:09 pm
I bought the Porsche stuff...a little hard to take at $96+tax for three gallons! I figure I may never do the job again as I don't know how long I'll keep the car.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
The recommended is ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 11:52:55 pm
... Porsche, what I use in my own Boxster is Prestone.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
What oil do you use in your gearbox? *NM*
dghii - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 4:43:27 pm
dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Swepco 201 *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 6:43:21 pm
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login