Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
you'll recall the engine would not rev over 4K and I was getting the P1579 code. I got in the garage this weekend and removed the tranny and here is what I discovered. The head on one of the small bolts that holds the friction surface to the flywheel had broke off. The bolt was then bouncing around inside the bellhousing and bent one of the shutter wheel teeth. That is the tooth that was hitting the CPS.:

You can see some scaring on the flywheel where the bolt was hitting the bolt holes. It sucks to have to do this all over again, but Aasco has been very easy to work with has a new unit on the way. If something happens 1 out of 100,000 times, gotta figure it'll happen to me! Don't come near me during a thunderstorm!
sorry it happened but thanks for sharing
frogster - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 2:12:31 pm
this kind of stuff just adds to the mass of general knowledge of the people here. it's very generous of you to take the time and make the effort to post pics and a description. personally, i find these things fascinating but I am sorry that you had this problem.

you took the tranny off in your own garage or a mechanic's? if it was your own, how many hours did it take you? just curious.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I had a similar situation when doing a rebuild on my '66 Bug way back when, I had to drop the engine so many times I could do it in less than 15 minutes with a floor jack in my driveway. I used to joke about installing velcro to speed the process even further. smiling smiley Let's hope this is the last hiccup on your project.
Re: Found the cause of Crankshaft Position Sensor problem....
Alcantera - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 8:35:52 am
I'm impressed, how did you know to look inside the bell housing ? was the tip of the CPS sensor Damaged? Good call ;maybe you should be on CSI with grissom! smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login