Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
glass rear window retrofit
boxsterd - Sunday, 12 December, 2010, at 12:29:14 am
I'm interested in replacing the OEM top on my '01 with the top with glass rear window introduced in '03. I believe it has been discussed it can be done. Are there any disadvantages? Cost? TIA.
Re: glass rear window retrofit
CarreraLicious - Sunday, 12 December, 2010, at 6:35:20 am
This has been discussed a lot before. Read this article for the answers: [sites.google.com]

As far as cost, that all depends on how lucky you are in your search for the used top and frame. I got mine in great shape for $700. Some salvage yards charge as much as $2,000 or more. Good luck. If you find one, you won't regret it one bit.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 12 December, 2010, at 10:01:49 am
That URL won't post well so just copy and paste this into your browser.

[sites.google.com]

but edit out the brackets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2010 10:05AM by mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC. (view changes)
boxsterd - Sunday, 12 December, 2010, at 2:21:25 pm
Hi,

None of those urls are working for me. I tried removing the brackets. Can someone please tell me where I can find more information on this topic? Thanks! Actually the main thing I'm interested in are the disadvantages. Any drawbacks?
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 12 December, 2010, at 2:27:44 pm
The only disadvantage I can find is that the glass window is smaller than the plastic window and the rearview vision is restricted.
The Porsche '03/'04 soft tops are made so that the glass tucks away nicely when you need to work on the engine.
Some of the aftermarket ones are really difficult to get them to allow enough room to work.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
boxsterd
Hi,

None of those urls are working for me. I tried removing the brackets. Can someone please tell me where I can find more information on this topic? Thanks! Actually the main thing I'm interested in are the disadvantages. Any drawbacks?

two ways I know of going about it.

One way is to buy/fit an aftermarket top with a glass rear window. The upside is this a low cost way and for some the project is a DIY project. The downside is the rear window is smaller, not positioned quite the same place as the original plastic window and the new tops's shape/outline differs from that of the stock top/window.

Also, service access to the engine is more difficult cause the new top with the glass window does not fold up out of the way like the original top with the plastic window. There have been reports that some shops are reluctant to work on Boxsters with aftermarket tops fitted cause the service access to the engine bay and engine is more difficult and the top and rear window are at risk of damage.

The second way is to fit the top from the 2003 or later model year Boxster that came from the factory with the glass rear window. This can be expensive. The top requires the top framework/rails/etc and there is the labor to remove the old hardware and fit the new hardware.

If the OEM top is in good shape the cheapest/best solution is to buy a new rear window, have it fitted by a qualified and quality soft top shop. I had this done and it cost around $600 and in some places of the country the new window can be had for a bit less money. Also, IIRC some have removed the old window and sewn in the new one themselves.

By way of comparison, a new factory top with the rear window is $4K (or more now). When I looked into this the dealership wanted to replace the entire top, the outer canvas portion and the rubber sheet underneath and the inner liner (my car's an 02). The price was over $4K for this. I'm not sure if just the outer top -- canvas and new rear window -- is available separately or if the entire/complete top assembly is all that is available. Regardless, I declined to spend the money. Since the top was in otherwise good condition -- no tears/holes in the canvas and no leaks -- I just had the cracked rear window replaced.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Al in Melbourne Beach - Sunday, 12 December, 2010, at 8:23:20 pm
I recently put a 2003 top on my 2003 Boxster. I found the following very helpful. I can't get the insert URL to work right so try to copy this link and paste it.

sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797

IE will ask you which site you want and list several. Pick the one with http in front of it, or just put http: in front of the above.

To find a top, go to www.car-part.com and you can search for tops. Tonight when I looked they ranged from $900 to $2500. You may also want to replace the transmissions. There's a good discussion of that in the pages at the above link. It will probably have to be shipped freight, so that will run another $150-$200.

The hardest part was getting it adjusted. I LOVE not having to get out and do the chop. I don't find the difference in the window size significant as it is not in the area where I look from the angle I sit at.

Al
Total cost for new top and window installed: $1000

I have heard mixed things about the aftermarket glass window tops - some people really like them, some have been disappointed. But Marc's point about Service Access is true - we had to access a friend's engine at the track with an aftermarket glass window top it is was very, very difficult. That alone would convince me not to get one. But if you have a shop that is comfortable dealing with it, that shouldn't dissuade you.

As for Window vs. Whole Top, the cost differential isn't that great - you should check the top fabric - if it is rubbed and going you should do the whole top. If it is in good shape, you can save the $500 and just do the window.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
I did it... No regrets
Chuck W. - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 10:06:37 pm
I did it about 2 years ago. One of the best mods I have done.

BEFORE

AFTER

The problem I have had with 986 with aftermarket glass-window tops is getting the glass out of the way to access the engine compartment - is there a technique for this?

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
If you get the whole 03/04 OEM top and frame (not the aftermarket ones), there's no issue with restricted engine access because the OEM frame has 4 bows instead of 3. That 4th bow allows the OEM glass to fold nicely out of the way when you put the top in service position. I also have this OEM 03 top/frame on my 01, and it's the best mod I've done to the car.
Well, I wouldn't say NO issue
Boxsterra - Saturday, 18 December, 2010, at 12:03:08 am
The pre-2003 tops are much easier to get access to the engine compartment.
Really?...
CarreraLicious - Saturday, 18 December, 2010, at 5:37:22 am
I don't see any change in the steps to get the top in service position besides the one extra step of attaching the built in strap to hold the back of the window up. There's no difficulty in that to me, and the benefits of the glass over plastic are overwhelming, IMO. I'm pretty confident that for the majority of people who convert their tops from plastic to the OEM glass, they won't be disappointed.

EDIT: oh, perhaps you mean that with the 03/04 tops, you get slightly less open access to the top of the engine vs. the plastic window which crumples out of the way- yes, that is true, but IMHO, the difference is not an issue because you still have plenty of room to do most everything you need to (except maybe for the hardcore mechanic like you winking smiley ). I mean, Porsche's been offering these glass tops as standard since 03 on the Boxster now...that's 7 years and counting of cars that need to be maintained, so engine access can't be that much of an issue. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2010 05:44AM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
Don't get me wrong
Boxsterra - Sunday, 19 December, 2010, at 1:42:25 pm
I do believe that the advantages of the glass top outweigh the disadvantages. And for people who don't work.on their own cars, it is just advantageous.

The pre-2003 tops just flip all the way up and stay up. The 2003+ ones have to be opened to just the right point, have to be tied up, and don't ever get completely out of the way. Sucks for casual work but it's not the end of the world.
Can anyone help me find the location to install a missing service strap for my 2004 Boxster S
And a part number so I can order one.
Thanks
Part # 986.561.931.00
MSRP $15.32

It's sewn in to the bottom left corner of the convertible top, at the back.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I installed an after market glass top. Me my son completed the job in about 8 hrs... I am very happy with the results! No chopping, no cracks, very clear and defrost! Drawbacks... a little smaller (I mainly use the mirrors when backing up) and it does stick out a bit on engine work (has kept me from getting in there!).

Mike Focke has a great page covering all the questions! [sites.google.com]
For me at least, $700 for the 03 top and frame. Free installation at Maurice's house, and took about an hour going slow from start to finish (removing old top and frame, and bolting in the new one).
the parts new or sourced from a used or donor (wrecked) car?

Added: Do you happen to know or have the part numbers of the various pieces?

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 06:28PM by MarcW. (view changes)
Yep, got mine used but in terrific shape...from a guy whose friend wrecked his Boxster.
Shipping coast to coast might be as much as $600 per the guy in AZ I just spoke to. Wow! $600 for the part, $600 to ship it.

Andrew
And my mechanic said $800 or so to remove old and install new - 1/2 day and lots of fiddling for adjustments.
Local guy wants $850 to sew in new plastic on existing top (which he removes). Might make sense to see what he charges to drop the new top on the car .

Andrew
I have done that job a couple times.
It is a bolt in swap if you have an 03-04 top and want to install on a 2002 or prior model. Muarice's excellent instructions are available. I think I post them on this board. But they are certainly on the net if you look.
For a professional shop, there is no excuse for it taking all day - or even half a day. None.

I cannot answer on parts and shipping. But $1200 all in seems pretty reasonable to me. The entire top is bulky and awkward - not really heavy, but heavy enough.
I think all in, I was close to $1600. But my top is near perfect. Some have a lot of wear out there.
The issue might be getting the top shipped if you are in an apartment or similar.
I had to have shipped to a commercial address.
I'm actually in the Princeton, NJ area - if there are people who are interested in beer, pizza and gas money (likely more than the mechanic fee with current inflation) please respond and I'll pursue a new top.

Any more local to me parts dealers I should check?

Andrew
The fiddling and fussing is typically associated with installing a new canvas on an old frame. If you are replacing the whole unit, it bolts right in.

I think the quote is for the former.
But there are some electrical differences using some transmissions. I have a pdf Maurice/1stchoir did if someone needs it. PM me.
I learned early on that static electricity causes invisible dust to attach to the plastic. If you want to keep a plastic window clear for years, wet wipe and pat dry before you lower the top. The one on my '02 lasted very clear for over ten years.
If you lower the top dirty, the invisible dust act like sandpaper. Use a wet, white paper towel and you'll probably be able to see the almost invisible dust that comes off. If you use a paper towel to dry, be careful to only pat and not wipe which could scratch. This method worked well for me for years on a Boxster and still does on my 356 Cabriolet.
All true, but my plastic is now 22 years old.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login