Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[autos.ca.msn.com]

See! We really aren't biased. smileys with beer
Re: So which Porsche made the Top 10 Best Sounding Cars list?thumbs up
jwdbox - Thursday, 3 March, 2011, at 12:18:34 pm
Well, we may still be biased but at least there are others that share our bias in enjoying the symphony in flat 6 smiling bouncing smiley

Guenter in Ontario

See! We really aren't biased. smileys with beer
Bombs away. Have my flame suit on. I've never heard the Spyder, but I know I can compare my two previous Boxsters ('98 base and 02 S) to my current 09 911S, and I must say, the 911 S is much sweeter sounding than either of the two Boxsters. Just firing the car up, it snorts and snarls. With the top down in my garage, it is very pronounced and causes my young nieces (8 & 9) to cover their ears. Also, at speed, tapping the go peddle to pass is pure music. I never really go that in the Boxsters. Maybe it was the roar of the intake drowning out the sound of the exhaust note at speed. Now, that roar is something that I do miss on the new car.

So, if the Spyder has the sport exhaust, then I'd have to assume a 911 S, Turbo, Turbo S, GT3, etc., with one would be even more heavenly.
winking smileywinking smiley Right, but then again 911 S, Turbo, Turbo S, GT3 are just Boxster want-a-bes cool smiley
Somebody had to say it. winking smiley thumbs up *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 3 March, 2011, at 5:59:00 pm
I agree, the 911 sound is superior to the Boxster. I was underwhelmed with the sound of my 1999 Boxster. Yes, there were some tunes from 5K rpms and beyond, but still not outstanding. Then I drove a 911 (a guy at work who I didn't even know that well just gave me the keys!) Got in, turned the key, and really, really, liked the sound of 911 at start up. However, after that it wasn't all that much better than my Boxster. I have PSE in my 08S, and while it is an improvement, it still does not match the 2001 911 at start up because I can't engage PSE until after I start the car. That's a pretty minor thing I guess, considering that you are not even driving at start up, but the 911 sounds is sweat.
At least it beat the Prius... wtf?
BoxsterBob - San Carlos
At least it beat the Prius... wtf?

I don't think the cars were in any particular ranking.

I imagine that you did read the text that went along with the Prius choice. Taking that into account, it does make a sweet "sound" - less katching of registers, less hearing the pumps and almost silence as it ..ah, ...hummms.. along. To some those are all beautiful sounds.

Me? I didn't buy the Boxster for economical driving (although I am happy with the mileage it delivers.). I bought it for what it's designed to do. It's worth the price of admission just to listen the that flat six perform the Symphony in Flat Six and let it build into a crescendo coming out of turn. True, I'll suffer from Permagin. I can live with that. hot smiley
What, no Buick Regal Turbo?
Laz - Thursday, 3 March, 2011, at 7:06:37 pm
Actually, I saw a tv ad today for it and it sounded pretty good; dare I say almost Porsche-like at steady throttle. Of course, the ad showed the car "racing" along at maybe 50 mph with the alternating interior shots showing the speedo going up from 30 to about (gasp!) 45. In contemplating this thread I went to Buick's page for the model and read some of the blurbs. To this day Detroit still can't get away from infantile feature descriptors, in this case the car has "Signature Taillights." Is that like Taco Bell's "Signature Recipe?" I'm reminded, too, of some Pontiac Firebirds having "Fuel Injection" decals on, of all places the door handles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 07:21PM by Laz. (view changes)
My father was a dealer and I had the rare privilege to see it before its debut. In those days they used to hide the new models and then have a big celebration at the initial showing -clowns,, balloons, hot dogs, pop corn and, in honor of chief Pontiac, they always had an Indian from Cherokee North Carolina wander around in a plains Indian war bonnet. If I remember correctly, the Bonneville had a chrome "fuel injection" logo across the trunk.
Re: My favorite is still . . .
bgale (Montrose,CO) - Saturday, 5 March, 2011, at 12:36:50 pm
my 1974 911 with almost S engine with Bursch exhaust eye popping smiley
That reminds me
Laz - Saturday, 5 March, 2011, at 5:29:51 pm
I put an Abarth with four tips on my 912. Sounded pretty good, too.
Re: That reminds me
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 5 March, 2011, at 6:04:20 pm
I had an Abarth on my 914 - sounded meaner than it was!
Not automotive but some of my favorite sounds #1 Mike hailwoods Honda at silverstore,#2 My buddies 1979 Honda cbx with six into six pipes . # Spitfire doing low level pass , The first lap of a race at mosport , we were at the end of the straightaway the lead Pack consisted of a Porsche turbo,Ferrari f430 some big block Chevy's and fords and a couple of Mazda's. Jeff Beck,Jimmy page and my grandsons laugh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login