Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Headlight replacement troubles
tom coughlin - Thursday, 1 December, 2011, at 9:14:46 am
Such a simple DIY headlight replacement-what could go wrong? So, I got out my manual and did it as described except that when I turned on the lights to check, no lights on the replaced side. A little investigation showed that I had problems with the car mounted electrical connector. Something had shifted and the yellow plastic (9963124600) L shaped retaining clip was broken and under the car were several blue plastic tab pieces from the connector itself.
It appears that I need a new connector. Are they available? Is there a "jury rig" fix?
Any and all thoughts will be appreciated. Tom
tom coughlin
Such a simple DIY headlight replacement-what could go wrong? So, I got out my manual and did it as described except that when I turned on the lights to check, no lights on the replaced side. A little investigation showed that I had problems with the car mounted electrical connector. Something had shifted and the yellow plastic (9963124600) L shaped retaining clip was broken and under the car were several blue plastic tab pieces from the connector itself.
It appears that I need a new connector. Are they available? Is there a "jury rig" fix?
Any and all thoughts will be appreciated. Tom

the plastic hardware that holds/locates the connector the headlight connector slips into when the headlight assembly is inserted into the opening.

Thus I would have to say the plastic hardware you need is available. If the connector in the fender opening is damaged this probably requires a wiring harness section be replaced.

My advice is to visit your local Porsche parts counter and with your car's VIN have the part number looked up. Whether you want to buy the part there is up to you.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
by removing the front wheel well liner on that side.

After you have removed the wheel well liner (you can get away with just pulling away the section in front of the wheel) you can then install the headlight and hold the receptacle in place so that it plugs in properly.

Regards, Maurice.
I actually jury rigged it to work by trimming the connector, pushing it through the mounting hole and manually connecting before locking the headlight module, only to find that my low-beam problem was still there. I checked the old bulb and it looked OK.

My mechanic thinks it'll need a new harness to the headlight.
You recall that the upper bulb is low beam, lower bulb is high. I know that fooled me the first time I messed with the lights.
Re: Headlight replacement troubles
crumbum - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 2:53:39 pm
I just did this on my car. The yellow clip costs $5.77 at your local Porsche dealer. They might not have it in stock, so call ahead.

Make sure you specify LEFT or RIGHT, since they are not interchangeable
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login