Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2005 BOXSTER S COOLANT PROBLEM
cruzbay10 - Monday, 12 September, 2011, at 2:01:11 pm
I just have a question on a 2005 boxster s. I accidentally put windshield wiper fluid (brand name Splash) in the engine coolant reservoir.

When I realized this (after ½ of driving), I took the car to a Jiffy lube and they "extracted" all fluid from the reservoir (they did not flush the entire system).

They then added a "universal coolant", I am not sure of the brand. Do you think I should have the car "flushed" and add the Porsche factory coolant.

Or is it okay to run without flushing the entire system bc the original coolant will mix with the universal coolant?

Thankyou!
Re: 2005 BOXSTER S COOLANT PROBLEM
Alcantera - Monday, 12 September, 2011, at 5:03:02 pm
I think a five year old car would not be harmed by having a coolant flush as part of preventative maintenance program. Most of us have replaced our coolant after a few years ,because the coolant tank has gone . I have put two in my car so far its a 2002 maybe just order a tank and do a flush and tank replacement s a preventative move. Most tanks split while your driving and you lose the coolant on the road and then you need a tow. You would not have posted if you were not worried. Half the cost of a coolant tank Re/Re is for fluid. Your tank may last another ten years but I doubt it.
Coolant flush
Bobtesa - Monday, 12 September, 2011, at 5:51:36 pm
I agree, not a bad idea to do a coolant flush. I think the Boxster lit says the coolant is forever, but some Porsche mechanics have said it should be flushed occasionally. I have my daily drive and wife's car coolant flushed about every 3-4 years after not doing it on a car that I had for 10 years and the heating coils got gunked up. Maybe the new coolants and/or Porsche's coolant won't do that, but I think it is pretty good preventive maintenance.
Re: Coolant flush
TomBrand - Monday, 12 September, 2011, at 8:01:01 pm
I think this is the root cause of the IMS.
Rev Dennis - Monday, 12 September, 2011, at 8:43:16 pm
Horizontal Engines need special coolant that is anti corrosive. Otherwise the head gaskets go away. Porsches and Subarus are of this design. A regular flush and refill with appropriate fluid is advised.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 12:58:04 am
"Lifetime" coolant is relative to the weakest component. I have replaced coolant at 80k due to a water pump failure and at 90k after the coolant tank proved that recycled milk cartons don't make good high temperature/high pressure containers.

I would agree to flush now and consider replacing the tank with the latest revision available.

You're not alone, there have been plenty of posts about owners pouring, "oil in the coolant" or "coolant in the oil", due to opening the wrong pipe. Best of luck!
Alcantera - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 8:38:44 am
Recycled milk containers, so funny! I have my old one on my shelve and that's exactly what it looks like smoking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login