Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Gary -I beg to differ! *NM*
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 23 March, 2012, at 3:26:18 pm
Re: Gary -I beg to differ!
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 23 March, 2012, at 6:05:20 pm
winking smiley No bad choices, and certainly different, but "better"...I think not.
Back when I used to track my car, a few instructors said the Boxster was a better handling car. I drove my friends C4, circa 2007 and the handling was definitly different and on rough roads in turns, the front end bobbed. The car also felt much heavier although that could have been because of the 4 wheel system.
Hey, it's all a gamble. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 23 March, 2012, at 6:53:44 pm
It really depends upon what you are looking for. If you are looking for a grand touring car with great performance, the 911 is probably the choice. If you are looking for a balanced sports car with a high fun quotient, then I think the Boxster is a better choice. There really is not much difference in performance between a base 911 and a Boxster S (.2 second 0 to 60) and I frankly prefer the more forgiving handling of the Boxster. Also - more storage in the Boxster. And of course the Boxster leaves a few more $$$ in your pocket - especially compared to a 911 Cab.
pay your maney - take your choice.
mike
Out of curiosity , I priced a base 911 Cab with the same equipment as the Boxster S I have ordered - $34,000 difference. "Everything is relative", but that makes the Boxster a bargain. Of course,based on numbers alone, a Corvette is an even a better deal.
mike

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Lawdevil
Out of curiosity , I priced a base 911 Cab with the same equipment as the Boxster S I have ordered - $34,000 difference. "Everything is relative", but that makes the Boxster a bargain. Of course,based on numbers alone, a Corvette is an even a better deal.
mike

Out of curiosity, I did the same, but compared the Boxster S with a 991 Coupe, configured about the same, and got about a $15K difference. Calling any 911 a "grand touring car" is quite a stretch especially if it has a manual tranny, IMO. A two seat roadster, that may not be a daily driver at upwards of $80K is quite costly, and neither one of these beauties is a "bargain", they both are great performers, the Boxster is a bit more forgiving at the edge but how often does anyone actually get there. Storage is a push when you include the 991 back seat and probably a little better with the seat backs folded down.

BTW, I didn't see any "dark side" 911's backing off Boxster runs at BRBS. Great and privileged choice to have, with no wrong answers.
The only Porsche bargain right now ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 24 March, 2012, at 3:27:26 pm
... is a used Boxster/BoxsterS.
Because of the depreciation these cars have taken, you can get a 40K mile Boxster S for less than $13,000 in SoFla.
THAT is a bargain.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: The only Porsche bargain right now ...
Gary in SoFL - Saturday, 24 March, 2012, at 3:39:03 pm
Maybe, but not mine winking smiley
A lot of the difference is I compared it to a 911 Cab - about $9,000 grand more. The price comparison of a 911 coupe to a Cayman would be much closer - and in that case I would probably go with the 911 coupe - but I have to have the convertible where I drive. Also, the salesman told me that they charge about 10% more for options and accessories on the 911 - even though they may be exactly the same. You are right - neither is a bargain - but note that I said the Boxster is a bargain "relative" to the price of a 911 - not compared to other cars. As I said, a Corvette is a much better "deal".. Luckily, there are no wrong answers here. I ran into someone who had ordered a Boxster at around $100,000 - more than a base 911 - but with virtually every option made - including the pricey ceramic brakes.

Cheers,

mike
BTW, the CURVN8R is a daily driver - 45,000 miles in less than 4 years.

mike

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
The higher the price, the better it is. Better here as a very definitive characteristic: what others percieve of you. This has nothing to do with the car's capabilities or qualities.

Back in school, we were taught a lesson about consumer behaviour with cars.... I am sure I am botching the story as it was over 30 years ago that I heard it, but here goes.... Back when car companies, and our economy in general was transitioning to a consumer driven system, GM and Ford (again, I may have these wrong) started consumer needs analysis. Ford asked consumers what they wanted in a car.... they answered things very similar to needs today.... big trunk, good gas mileage, practical..... GM asked consumers what kind of car their neighbors would buy. They got very different answers like tons of chrome, big, flashy.

Well guess who outsold the other?
i have read many studies with different variations but essentially they serve the same wine in multiple glasses telling the people that "A" is more expensive than "B" and guess what, A always tastes much better.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login