Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
99 CEL
Ollie - Sunday, 1 April, 2012, at 8:36:15 pm
Friend of mines 99 (all stock- original owner) decided to through 2 codes today:

P1124- Manufacturer Controlled Fuel And Air Metering
P1126- Manufacturer Controlled Fuel And Air Metering

He tells me limited codes have been thrown during life of car- 1 for gas cap and 1 for MAF- other than that he can not recall any other codes

Am I looking for a air leak here?
Those two codes ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 8:09:32 am
... indicate either an air leak after the MAF or low fuel pressure.
I would start with the most likely first: an air leak.
The easiest way to detect one is by having the engine at idle and with a can of engine starter spray it around any and all of the intake hoses and fittings.
When you spray the leak the engine will accelerate indicating that some of the starter leaked into the intake.
Find the malady and correct it.
If its not an air leak, then it could be low fuel pressure.
Check/replace the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure.
This last check is probably best done by a pro.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Those two codes ...
Ollie - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 6:05:44 pm
So i went to my buddies house started it up cold- noticed a little hunting for idle...kind of makes sense for a air leak. Sprayed engine starter but noticed no change. I pulled the tube off the AOS and found oil. Not sure how much is normal and how much is to much... but, at the end that goes into the intake there was a puddle of oil sitting there NOT just a coating... Thoughts?
So...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 11:35:07 pm
... you need to clean the throttle body but you still have an air leak or a lack of fuel pressure.
When you clean the TB make sure you clean the idle control valve. That's what likely causing the idle hunting.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: So...
Ollie - Tuesday, 3 April, 2012, at 10:00:27 am
Agree- I pulled the TB last night and it was dirty to the point the butterfly seemed a little sticky cleaned it up good. ICV felt smooth with no sticking but cleaned it anyway. Sprayed more starter stuff after I got it all back toether and still no reving. I took the car home last night and drove it to work today... idle holding steady. No pending codes yet, I suspect I will see them soon. I did not feel any driveablity issues. I want to drive a few hundred miles and see what happens. Pulled 2 spark plugs they looked good.

His car is a 99 with 89K miles and never had AOS replaced, never had TB off\cleaned etc. I have reccomended to him that we replace the AOS as preventive measure and the fuel filter as it is original also.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login