Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
It's a love/hate thing right now...
boehmaj986 - Sunday, 1 April, 2012, at 5:32:14 pm
Hello Pedro's Board and former PPBB'ers!

Very long time visitor but have never posted.

I have a '99 986 that is pretty much straight stock- arctic silver, blue top and interior. Not a daily driver, except when the weather is nice, and currently has 87K miles.
Bought the car off the 'Bay about 3.5 years ago, and have had, mostly, permagrin ever since. And have very much enjoyed the lively discussions here and have learned more than I could ever have hoped.

Gradually, and as funds permit, I have been fixing the annoying things that break on an 13+ year old car. Last week, got the gnarly rims refinished, new center caps and a new set of tires. Have a new fuel filter and front sway bar bearings ready to be installed. Big sigh...Then the dreaded air-bag light came on yesterday and I've just now figured out that the small coolant leak that I was hoping would be something easy, is a leak in the overflow tank. Damn, damn, damn. New overflow tank now on the way from Pelican.

Just a little vent to those who I know will understand.
Hang in there brothers and sisters - eventually everything will get fixed!

Thanks for 'listening' and as Pedro says, happy Boxstering to you all!
Amy
Don't despair
Roger987 - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 10:21:28 am
Your list of repairs during your Boxster ownership sounds like an average long weekend for my 12 year old BMW 5 series wagon

I'm exaggerating, but not wildly. And I STILL love the car. smiling smiley
Hi. Glad you came out and posted! ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 11:02:11 am
... the coolant tank can be a pain (literally) to install.
Arm yourself with patience.
here are the DIY replacement instructions: [pedrosgarage.com]
Good luck and
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks guys!
boehmaj986 - Monday, 2 April, 2012, at 9:14:26 pm
I appreciate your kind words.

Luckily, I'm just the diagnostician/Google-foo-er and parts buyer, and not the actual mechanic. My demo skills are top notch. My get-it-back-together skill.....ummmm...notsomuch.

Today was a good day though. It was 75 and sunny. Perfect top-down weather.

(I should say too as a caveat to all my grousing... so far this car has been completely reliable and runs like a champ. Only routine maintenance stuff fixed so far. Just like me, it's just the age related items that are starting to go!).

Thanks all,
Amy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login