Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Now, now, let's play nice.

You missed one. PCA Boxster Register

But who's counting.

15. eye rolling smiley

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
10 saves and 5 unnecessary replacements, according to the posts. The IMS bearing in the 65K mile car was reported to be in fine condition.
But biased statistics
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 11 April, 2012, at 8:51:05 pm
since cars brought to the mechanic are not a normal sampling of all Boxsters running but are more probably ones exhibiting some sign that there may be a problem.

OTOH, if only 1/3 of the parts replacements were unneeded, I wonder what proportion of all the parts replaced by all mechanics turns out to be unnecessary? Is it about the same?

And unneeded at 65k can't possibly mean that there was no wear, just that it wasn't obvious yet. Since it starts small and then avalanches...who knows what the optimum point at which you replace what is a wearing part after all. All rotating parts are.
Those are not even statistics
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 11 April, 2012, at 11:54:28 pm
Statistics is about collecting and analyzing large volumes of numbers. Without large numbers, reports are interesting but not meaningful.

I have opened two of my 986/996 engines each after over 100k miles and disassembled and inspected the IMS bearings and neither had any appreciable wear.
Re: Those are not even statistics
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 12 April, 2012, at 12:19:18 am
Sanity in the face of hysteria is refreshing smileys with beer
Re: Those are not even statistics
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 12 April, 2012, at 7:00:07 am
Then why the second sentence which contains an even smaller sample?

If we insist on a certain standard for the statistics cited in favor of a proposition, shouldn't we insist on the same standard for arguments counter to the same proposition?
Because
Boxsterra - Thursday, 12 April, 2012, at 8:46:02 am
I'm not trying to establish the frequency of high mileage cars with minimal IMS bearing wear, merely the existence of them.

To your second point, yes I completely agree. Standards should be applied equally in both directions. I acknowledge that people are clamoring for more info on this topic but we just don't have the data. You can survey online board members all day and you still won't have enough (good) data.
I think we agree
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 12 April, 2012, at 3:33:39 pm
What I think I know is the bearing is a wear item and all wear items have a life that is somehow limited by their lubrication and materials and use. I like to think of failures as lying on a classic bell curve. Of course that implies that some will come early in the car's life and some late. Unfortunately we don't have data on where the peak is or the shape of the curve.

We already know from Marc and Pedro that some original bearings go 190k miles or more. We have also heard of early failures.

Stuff happens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login