Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Boxter key not working PlEASE help !!!
joe123 - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 1:40:58 am
Hi,

Im not sure if im posting in the correct area but i really need some help fixing my boxter key as i need to get to work very soon and my boss is going to kill me if im late again. My model is a 1998 boxter. I just went to open my car last night and realised the car wasnt locking. When i press lock the car locks (as i can hear it) then unlocks by itself. I have tried numerous resync methods that i have seen throughout the internet but none seem to be working. The best scenario is i can lock the driving side door manually, then press the lock button. The whole car will lock. However when i come back to open the driving door i must do it manually and then to re lock the car repeat the whole process. I have tried the second key i have and have tried replacing the battery and restarting the circuit (which was a tp on some website that by putting the battery back in the other way around pressing a few buttons, would restart the circuit). Nothing is fixing the problem. I have been trying to fix it all night and just have to get it fixed asap. Please any help is greatly appreciated.
It sounds to me as if...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 7:57:07 am
... one of the door locking mechanisms is bad (probably the driver's).
If that's the case you'll need to replace it.
It's not an out-of-sync symptom.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Another possibility
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 9:06:03 am
since the locking mechanism is locking and then unlocking, seems to be that lock is working.

Are there any other electronic gremlins you are experiencing?

It could be the ignition lock. The symptoms you are describing are the same as a friend had on his 1999 996. Doors would lock and then immediately unlock again. There were a few other strange things happening like running lights not turning off and key being difficult to get out of the ignition.

He replaced the electronic part of the ignition switch and everything went back to normal.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: Boxter key not working PlEASE help !!!
IFlyLow - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 8:46:07 am
I had a similar problem this weekend, though not exactly. Same symptoms with the door locks, with the addition of passenger door not opening at all. Took the door panel off and found the cable connector at the inner door handle broken.
This may not be your case, but it does point to the door locking/latch mechanism
Have you tried the Poor Man's Computer Reset?
Red_Lightnin! - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 10:52:09 am
I have a '98 and have had occasional problems. First, check to make sure that the locking computer under the Driver's Seat isn't wet. Then make sure everything is locked, pop the front trunk and disconnect the battery for about two minutes (don't close the front trunk, watch yourself around the terminals, and make sure you have your radio code). This resets the locking computer, and has solved problems like this for me in the past.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login