Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
IMS bearing upgrade
sdm100 - Wednesday, 28 December, 2011, at 9:29:45 pm
In putting my 98 away for the winter heard a loud noise from rear lasted about 10 sec then disappeared. Car is low mileage but with annual oil changes with about 3k per spring and summer driving. Nothing seems loose and last spring no metal note in oil filter. Question is this harbinger of IMS shaft bearing failure and should prophylactic do the double bearing upgrade? No oil leak noted nothing appears loose. Just thought asking you guys regarding my paranoia would be helpful. Is it worth an evaluation with a qualified mechanic?Etc
You need to get it looked at....
dghii - Wednesday, 28 December, 2011, at 11:04:50 pm
...If it was me, and I didn't investigate, I'd simply worry about it all winter and be miserable. Get it checked out and evaluate your options, if needed, from there. At least with winter setting in, you'll have time to repair if needed without cutting in to your driving time.

Hopefully though, it was 'nothing'.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
At least ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 29 December, 2011, at 12:13:31 am
... take out your oil filter and inspect it carefully.
That's what I'd do.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Whilei think the update is a good idea in general...
grant - Saturday, 31 December, 2011, at 9:41:55 am
..especially for a car driven like yours (low use is the target audience apparently), why dont you try to describe the noise more completely first? When? Under what circumstances? Can you make the noise (shades of click n clack)?

Could be an exhaust rattle, timing chain, IMS, angry squirrel, tc.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login