Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Anyone done a Becker-ectomy?
Constantin - Friday, 28 June, 2013, at 3:28:19 pm
Hi guys and gals,

Thanks again for the rust treatment suggestions, I really appreciated them and the POR gear is on order. Besides fixing the LCD for the climate control (classic rising sun failure) I am also in the market for a new stereo to replace the Becker gear that has started to fail (i.e. jammed CD in 6-CD changer, station scroll button only goes in one direction, etc.).

Has anyone here removed a 6CD changer, and if so, was able to remove a stuck cassette? Mine won't eject! (Argh)
Hi Constantine!

I replaced the entire system in my 2000S from the Becker head unit, the amp, speakers.... everything and replaced it all. Later cars had those digital systems and became quite a different animal. What year and model.... this is important.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
2001 base model
Constantin - Friday, 28 June, 2013, at 10:53:55 pm
Without navigation but with Bose speaker system, ie doors, DSP , etc.

I figure I'll dump the DSP as well and gain a shelf. $56 on eBay. Could hold cable end for cell phone.
I think the 2001 was the same as my 2000 - you have the premium sound system with the bigger door panels.... I ditched the DSP also and put in a shelf.. I think they called this an "oddments" compartment. Before you pay so much oneBay, check a dismantler like Parts Heaven. The DSP panel is just a control panel where the digital electronics are located inside the amplifier. Ditch the amp and you will improve the sound pretty dramatically. The Becker head unit didn't sound good either but I think the consensus at the time was the amp with its digital electronics was the biggest offender.

That DSP really was awful for sound quality. You will be way happier ditching the whole system. My installer, a highly reputable one here near Philly, chose to re-use the Porsche speaker wiring. He said that Porsche figured out the electrical noise issue and it is risky to change out the speaker cable.... I was willing to pay for new cable.

If I remember correctly, if you replace the speaker drivers, there is a problem finding ones that fit as Porsche used some unusual sizes. The dash speakers were drop in replacements but the doors required some modding with a Dremel and the installer used some sort of black rubber-putty stuff to seal them in. Same for the rear deck speakers as they are really tiny from from the factory. I don't remember the brands... I am pretty sure my installer used ADS speakers.... a Nakamichi head unit (Nak got out of the business now)... and for Amps.... I had two amps. Sorry I can't remember the configuration...... I think I had one amp drive the door speakers that handled just bass. The other amp handled the dash and rear speakers. I just don't remember exactly.

Confirm my "facts" with others as I am firing up some long unused neurons here...... maybe the archives can help. You will be rewarded with much better sound.

Some say why bother in such a noisy car? Most think that upgrading stereos will allow you to play LOUDER.... this simply is not true as it is the opposite. A higher definition system will allow your ear/brain system to more easily decipher the sound and you can listen more comfortably at lower sound levels.... must less fatiguing.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: This should be easy....
Constantin - Saturday, 29 June, 2013, at 4:18:53 pm
Thank you, Bruce!

I am just beginning on this journey. I may keep the factory cones for now and just switch the head unit to the Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login