Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Rated R Pics: Topless, not just top down
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Thursday, 29 December, 2011, at 6:44:17 pm
Rated (R)epair worthy smiling smiley I finally found time to install the new roof I bought recently, thanks to Trygve for the great deal. My top was approaching her teenage years and after having a new window sewn in in 2004, I was ready to replace the whole top. I wasn't looking forward to an OEM canvas R&R and the GAHH glass top didn't appeal to me.

This is a fairly simple job, three bolts on each side and some trim pieces covering the seat belt unit. I did the job solo and it took about 2 hours. I went from Metro Blue to Black, but I have no regrets. I may look for a deal on an OEM blue top and do a work bench R&R on my existing frame and sell the black top at some point in the future, until then, loving the new look!

I did discover that the passenger side push rod ball joint was broken... I wonder how long it's been that way? I was ticked off that you can't buy the screw on, $1.98 plastic piece separately (dealer wants $72 for whole push rod) I can buy it on line for $36.

Here are the wear marks on the roof she was born with:

Whew baby, cover the kiddies eyes... Topless Boxster is in the house! grinning smiley

Blue vs. Black

3 simple bolts on each side

Sporting a nice new Black Hat!

Hey... I was going to buy that top!
dghii - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 12:27:20 am
Nice job!

I spoke to Trygve back in the fall about purchasing the same top for the 98 box I was fixing up. After looking at shipping to FL, we decided it wasn't prudent to pursue any further. That being said, Trygve was very helpful and I hope his project pans out well.

I did do the same R/R of frame and top and found it to be a great way to renew a 986. Wish I could find a reasonable deal on a 986 top/frame with glass window for my current Box. My rear window is acceptable right now but I'd trade it for glass in a hear beat.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: Hey... I was going to buy that top!
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 1:04:39 pm
Small world, Trygve mentioned a potential buyer in Florida, thankfully I'm about 25 miles away, so shipping was a few gallons of gas. Trygve is a great asset to the Boxster community. My first brake job was done with his DIY site instructions.
So, where did you buy the top? It looks used.
Tony in Whittier - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 1:38:12 am
Do you mind sharing the cost? My rear window is split again. I intend to get a glass window and new canvas this time. What did you not like about the GAHH? Did you have any difficulties with the install? It looks like you removed the seats in the process.

Thanks.
I bought the top from Trygve, a fellow Pedro Boarder and Babbler. The Spec Racer projects are a bonanza for us "vintage" owners. Trygve gave me a great deal because I was close enough to pick the top up, so it was significantly less than an OEM canvas top. On the scale of difficulty, this was slightly more difficult than a brake job, but nowhere near the contortion requirements of a water pump or AOS. I was able to do it solo.

As far as the GAHH, it was the cost and potential limitation of the engine with the top in the service position, since I do all my own maintenance. I would go for a 2003 glass window & frame if I could find one. For a '99, there is some significant top tranny modification required: Maurice's DIY on Mike Focke's site. The '98 -> '99 top swap was plug & play.

After posting this on Babblers.org, I will now strip the top off my old frame and help a friend install his recently purchased top to see what that process is like.

Special thanks to Maurice, dghii and Al in Melbourne Beach for the tips

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 01:48PM by BoxsterBob - San Carlos. (view changes)
Tony in Whittier
Do you mind sharing the cost? My rear window is split again. I intend to get a glass window and new canvas this time. What did you not like about the GAHH? Did you have any difficulties with the install? It looks like you removed the seats in the process.

Thanks.

The GAHH with the glass conversion will result in restricted access to the engine, whereas the factory ('03 and '04) glass tops will have very near the access afforded by the vinyl windowed top. The early problems with glass separation/delamination from the canvas have apparently been resolved and are no longer a concern.

Removing the seats is not necessary, but it does allow you a little more leverage if you are installing the new top all by yourself.

Refer to the DIY article cited above for how to find an OEM '03-04 top at a reasonable cost.

Regards, Maurice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login