Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2013 Interior
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 2:37:05 pm
This may have been up before but I just saw it. Looks like the three binnacle dash continues.
[images.thecarconnection.com]
Re: 2013 Interior
Bobtesa - Saturday, 31 December, 2011, at 3:44:19 pm
At first glance, I'm not sure I like the console. Maybe it will appeal to me more in 3D.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 31 December, 2011, at 6:05:46 pm
I don't like it either - I think it would be better with less chrome or aluminum trim.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 06:25PM by Lawdevil. (view changes)
Eric (Plug Guy) - Saturday, 7 January, 2012, at 6:59:05 am
Lawdevil
I don't like it either - I think it would be better with less chrome or aluminum trim.

We can fix that. smileys with beer
Wayne K - Friday, 6 January, 2012, at 5:40:21 pm
That console reminds me of a 70 Corvette I once owned.
What I mean about not liking the center console
Bobtesa - Saturday, 7 January, 2012, at 8:24:13 am
I don't like the whole configuration of the center console. It is nice that they fixed the sports chrono "wart" (nice word for it), and it may be too much aluminum, but Eric can fix that. To me, the center console is something more suited to a sedan. And, it probably looks fine in a Panamera (I have never seen the interior of a Panamera). So, it seems to me that in Porsche's desire to share parts across models, they took the Panamera center console and are using it the new 911, and maybe in the new Boxster. It might look good in a sedan, and taste in individual, but I don't think I am going to like it in a Boxster. I'm busting my head trying to figure out why. And, it came to me...

It's the angle of the console in relation to the stick for a manual tranny. I like a center configuration that allows a level area between the stick and my right elbow. That is, your right forearm should be level. It looks like with this configuration the driver will feel like, or actually be, reaching up to get to the stick. So, maybe the looks per se are not so bad, it is just the thought it puts in my mind of how it will feel. If it ends up feeling ok, then maybe my perception will change. No, matter, I love my 08 and plan to stick with it for awhile.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Bobtesa
....It might look good in a sedan, and taste in individual, but I don't think I am going to like it in a Boxster.

It's the angle of the console in relation to the stick for a manual tranny. I like a center configuration that allows a level area between the stick and my right elbow. That is, your right forearm should be level. It looks like with this configuration the driver will feel like, or actually be, reaching up to get to the stick. So, maybe the looks per se are not so bad, it is just the thought it puts in my mind of how it will feel. If it ends up feeling ok, then maybe my perception will change. No, matter, I love my 08 and plan to stick with it for awhile.

That is EXACTLY what I have been thinking. To me, the 987 shifter is in the perfect spot and looks like the 981 shifter is up higher, which doesn't matter if you're driving a PDK. But for those of us who enjoy shifting as part of the driving experience, it doesn't look good. But, we won't know for sure until we have a chance to try it.

Maybe Porsche will offer a consol delete with a short shift as an option for the enthusiast driver....... hint, hint Porsche. winking smiley

Or Maybe Pedro or Eric will offer such an option.
Alfa Romeos, at least the older ones, have their stick shift fairly high up. This was due to the stick being directly connected to the gearbox without an intervening linkage, and the gearbox being fairly forward. With the classic Italian arms-stretched-forward driving position*, it was a short distance from the 2 or 3 o'clock hand position to the shift knob. It felt good, but to this day I don't know if the factory ever resolved the fragile 2nd gear synchro problem. Here's a link that shows the interior of a Spider:

[www.thetruthaboutcars.com]

*Short legs help, too. I still often drive with my right heel dragging on the carpet, but don't wreck the finish on my right shoe as quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 10:57AM by Laz. (view changes)
Interesting. I am not a stock car racing fan, but if my memory is accurate, some video I have seen (maybe on TV) shows the shifter/stick in these cars is quite high and very near the steering wheel. It looks like there is minimal move of the right hand to shift gears.
That's one thing I love about my 986
Charlie (Sacramento CA) - Sunday, 8 January, 2012, at 1:12:09 pm
No console at all! More flexibility for my right leg, and these days I have my GPS down there.

Before/after

Wow. Now that has got to be the
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 8 January, 2012, at 8:25:25 pm
fastest removal and reinstall I've ever seen. winking smiley

I agree, without the center consol, somehow, it looks more purposeful as a sports car.
I agree whole heartedly
frogster - Monday, 9 January, 2012, at 12:33:30 am
i took out the console in my boxster and loved it. loved the look and loved how it gave so much more room for my right leg.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login