Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
my first car....
Harvey in FL - Wednesday, 7 August, 2013, at 2:40:16 pm
Now that I have so much time on my hands, I was able to borrow a slide projector and go thru my old slides. Among seeing my old girl friends, getting married, kids growing up, scenic trips, etc, I found a pic of my very first car. I got interested in sport cars as my high school buddy had a yellow TR3 which I was allowed to drive from time to time. So, I purchased this AH 3000 Mark III BJ8 after graduating from college. The car cost about the same as my yearly salary as a federal employee. I could afford the Austin as I was living home with my parents. I remember getting 90 mph out of third gear with one more gear to go plus electric overdrive.thumbs up Darn, I also miss the beautiful lines of the AH. angry smiley

Re: my first car....
thom4782 - Wednesday, 7 August, 2013, at 4:20:54 pm
MGA for me. I'd trade my Boxster in a heart beat for one in pristine condition.

[i43.tinypic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 04:21PM by thom4782. (view changes)
Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
I know the weather outside / inside the car experience well. Mine was a Connecticut car without a heater or defroster installed. Often the window would ice up making it very difficult to see. And of course, it was toe freezing cold inside the car at times. The biggest surprise I had with the MGA came when I installed a radio and it blew up. Unbeknown to me, MGs at that time were positively grounded and the radio's capacitors couldn't take it.
Maybe this tachometer from an AH 3000 would have been the clue you needed to save your radio.

gregsterInMO - Wednesday, 7 August, 2013, at 5:01:06 pm
Very Nice! My Dad bought a brand new AH 3000 in 1965 (I think) and then ended up selling it after my Brother and I showed up because he and my Mother could not afford the $100 a month payment.

A nice example now can bring pretty big $$$$ for sure!
I like these better winking smiley
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 7 August, 2013, at 11:15:10 pm
[i83.photobucket.com]

[i83.photobucket.com]

Happy Porcheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
thanks, I needed that drinking smiley *NM*
Harvey in FL - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 9:16:52 am
windows but I only have one poor quality photo of my Healey. My wife bought an MGB new in 1974. We still have that. I just finished replacing all the brake parts, radiator hoses, windshield wiper motor, and water pump. Also changed transmission and rear end oil. Running good.except for a bouncing inaccurate speedometer needle.

Jeff Benson:

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
Dry or worn speedometer cable. *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 11:57:56 am
Re: Dry or worn speedometer cable.
Jeff (Philly) - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 12:06:17 pm
I have replaced everything in the MG but the transmission from the speedometer to the pinion gear that plugs into the transmission. I've been working on this, off and on, since 1983. Last effort was a few weeks ago. I may think about it again in a decade or so.
Nice. One of the definitions of "sports car." *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 11:57:08 am
Call me unsentimental...
jlegelis - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 4:57:02 pm
I've owned a few older sports cars (TR's, Alfa's), and enjoyed many great times and drives with them, and appreciate them today when I see one on the road. However, I certainly don't miss the quality of the driving experience (or lack thereof) when compared to my Boxster. I find the suspension of older cars typically 'agricultural' in terms of sophistication, the reliability minimal, the creature comforts lacking. Sure, I'd love to spend a sunny day in a early 70's Spider, but I have no doubt that I'd quickly be yearning for my 986 by the end of the ride... YMMV.
have creature comforts in a 986 like power this, power that and A/C. People do have sentimental reasons for keeping their toys. We have an MGB with antique plates for the occasional sunny day spin, however, my daily driver is a Boxster. You can have both. Our 1974 MGB was purchased new and has traveled with us from DC to California, to the UK and to Paris France then here to Pennsylvania. There is nothing like driving your MGB down a small country road in Wales and getting stuck in a traffic jam behind a flock of sheep or driving down the Champs-Élysées in Paris in a different sort of traffic jam.

Jeff Benson:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 05:28PM by Jeff (Philly). (view changes)
Re: Call me unsentimental...
SPG356 - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 8:42:14 pm
jlegelis
I've owned a few older sports cars (TR's, Alfa's), and enjoyed many great times and drives with them, and appreciate them today when I see one on the road. However, I certainly don't miss the quality of the driving experience (or lack thereof) when compared to my Boxster. I find the suspension of older cars typically 'agricultural' in terms of sophistication, the reliability minimal, the creature comforts lacking. Sure, I'd love to spend a sunny day in a early 70's Spider, but I have no doubt that I'd quickly be yearning for my 986 by the end of the ride... YMMV.

Serious question ; Have you driven a properly sorted 356 before for any real length of time? They are an unbelievable car even 50 years later. I drove my '64 cabriolet to Florida and back from MIchigan this past spring for a total of 4,000 miles. I've taken multiple long trips in two different 356's, a '72 911, a 1980 911 and my Boxster and the trips in the 356's were every bit as enjoyable and comfortable as in any of the others. 50 years ago, people took these same trips in their 356's without hesitation. Today, if your car is fully sorted, it is the same thing.

Obviously I am biased, but the combination of build quality, reliability, comfort and performance of the 356 cannot be matched by other 50's and 60's era cars. The driving experience is incredible when the car is sorted properly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 08:50PM by SPG356. (view changes)
Good post cool smiley *NM*
Jeff (Philly) - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 8:58:59 pm
Drove a mint '57 356B for several miles last year.
Laz - Friday, 9 August, 2013, at 10:53:01 am
Other than a very long shift stick and vagueness, which could be attributable to a need for linkage adjustments, the car had a pretty modern feel. Oh, the steering felt a bit strange, but I think the front end needed a toe adjustment. That day I also drove a 64 Morgan, which other than the on or off pushbutton like clutch, felt good. So did a Jag XK 140. The piggy one of the group was a 57 Vette which was a big, vaguely steering beast with cantankerous fuel injection, a way too long hood and a static seating position that practically put the steering wheel under my chin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 10:54AM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Drove a mint '57 356B for several miles last year.
SPG356 - Friday, 9 August, 2013, at 2:45:54 pm
Laz
Other than a very long shift stick and vagueness, which could be attributable to a need for linkage adjustments, the car had a pretty modern feel. Oh, the steering felt a bit strange, but I think the front end needed a toe adjustment.

Hi Laz,

These are all signs that what you described needed to be refurbished and adjusted. The thing about 356's is that they are SO driveable they get a lot of miles put on them, which in time creates variations from spec. When you totally refurbish one of these back to new, they are an unbelievable driving car. Perfect combination of handling, performance, ride, reliability and comfort. Yes there are many period cars that do one of those thing better than the Porsche, but not as a total package like the Porsche. I believe the same thing can be said about the modern day cars as well.

Also, 1957 would still be a 356A; the B model was introduced in 1959 as a 1960 model. smiling smiley
He wants me to come along for company and "in case" he needs a mechanic.

Great car but I can't imagine driving any real distance without bringing tools.
Even if you bring tools you probably won't have the part that goes bad. Every garage probably has most of the tools required but not the parts. It is at least overnight to get a part shipped from Moss Motors if you know what you need.

Jeff Benson:

Yeah, I know
Boxsterra - Saturday, 10 August, 2013, at 1:03:13 pm
I used to work at a British car garage. We would usually order multiple identical parts to ensure we got one that would fit. I feel like I know most of the tricks for getting back on the road.
Lucas light switch:
Laz - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 12:56:22 pm
Lucas...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 1:10:30 pm
...the Prince of Darkness winking smiley
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Lucas...
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 1:24:50 pm
Or the Dark Lord.
Re: Lucas...
SPG356 - Monday, 12 August, 2013, at 9:16:33 pm
Grandfather of the intermittent wiper...... Lucas refrigerators, It's why Brits drink warm beer......
I bought a 3000 BJ7 a couple years back - in pieces
JM-Stamford,CT - Thursday, 8 August, 2013, at 5:12:52 pm
The engine is done, the suspension done and the bodywork done.

Heading to paint.

I agree with your taste.
Jeff (Philly) - Sunday, 11 August, 2013, at 5:30:13 pm
Harvey in FL
I remember getting 90 mph out of third gear with one more gear to go plus electric overdrive.

I meant to comment on the above quote earlier. I once had my 1962 AH 3000 wound all the way out in overdrive and I was doing 135 mph.

Jeff Benson:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login