Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Twenty Years On
m4240z - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 7:50:43 am
Twenty years ago, or so, Porsche announced what was to be their salvation in the form of a mid-engined concept car. Porsche was seriously on the ropes in '93, having a moribund 911 with it's legendary but difficult handling (to be supplanted in '94 by the 993, the last of the great air cooled engines. The 964 could be had for really cheap, as they resonated with few, and the 928, was for some, a German speaking Corvette.

The Boxster concept was a return back to a sports car root -- the 944 and 968 interestingly survive on as huge weekend warrior track cars, because of their transaxle and balanced handling.

[www.autospies.com]
So why did 964s speak to so few?
grant - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 12:22:13 pm
They seem pretty darm popular today.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: So why did 964s speak to so few?
frogster - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 3:50:46 pm
grant

Grant

maybe it was the general feeling at that time? wonder how other sports cars were faring then. was it only porsche?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: So why did 964s speak to so few?
m4240z - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 5:01:18 pm
frogster
grant

Grant

maybe it was the general feeling at that time? wonder how other sports cars were faring then. was it only porsche?

I remember going into the dealer back in 1993 -- I had no money. The recession had taken a huge bite out of most people and a sports car wasn't really on my list of consumables. Also, at the time, 4x4s were hugely popular. I got a Grand Cherokee, where the only 'sport' was in the name of the type of vehicle, being a 'Sport' Utility Vehicle. Utility was much bigger on those cars. As was gas consumption.

I could have picked up a 968 for about $8,000 more than the Grand Cherokee.
Re: Twenty Years On
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 6:31:26 pm
On a trip I mentally note the Porsches I see. Keeps me awake for the 1,000 miles or so I covered this week. I saw more 944s than 911s, one air cooled and several 986s including a deep red/maroon/gorgeous one. One 987, no 981s. And I was in prime "toy car" country but during mid afternoon.

I don't know what the numbers built are or how they compare but I see as many 944s as I do Boxsters and it is amazing for cars so old how many are still in good shape. Not so many 924s. And 928s were always expensive to maintain. Even though they were made for a long time, you don't see many still on the road.

Saw my first Tesla S out in the horse country of Va, he was probably coming home from lunch in Middleburg. Just down the street came across a F-car. The rich they do live differently.

There was a beautiful white 968 convertible just up the street from me when I lived in Oakton.

The Boxster was easy to build because of the commonality of parts with the 911. Just as the 914 had been with the type-4 VW.
Re: Twenty Years On
dennisafrompa - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 6:58:27 pm
Yeah, nobody wanted the 964...but they do now. Prices are way up, not that I'm shopping. It was the start of the "modern" suspension era in 911s. Good cars just had funny bumpers that look OK these days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login