Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Airbag light ON, steady… '01S, tip w/68k
FrankZ, Chicago - Tuesday, 8 October, 2013, at 11:51:48 pm
Hi folks, I'm asking for a little insight in troubleshooting my newly lit airbag warning light.

Here's the scenario: my driver's seat webbing had split after 12 years… with lots of help from my knee, of course. Oh, recommend never kneeling on these seats, old or new.

So, I removed the seat referencing my Bentley Manual & Pelican Parts Boxster Tech instructions… first lower the top, position the back rest upright, slightly forward, then disconnect battery's neg. cable from terminal, then unbolt the 4 bolt fasteners for the seat rails with an E12 torx star-shaped socket… then, very carefully disconnecting the wiring harness to the immobilizer unit (the 'black box' under seat)… a frustrating but simple task once discovering "the old slide-out-the-plastic-end-cap" trick on the coupling. I almost lost my cool and actually had to walk away smileys with beer for awhile to compose myself. And, hey, it worked!

With the seat removed, I had the webbing repaired at a local trim shop. Nice job, I'm a happy camper! Install went smoothly and carefully… in reverse order of removal… electrical coupling, seat rails fastened with bolts (48 ft-lbs), battery reconnected, radio code entered, window cycling reprogrammed.

Now, after engine start, all things appear normal, except the airbag warning light is now on, steady!

Having researched the matter somewhat, my initial instinct is to have the airbag system analyzed with the dealer's PST2, but I thought I'd run it by the board before taking it down to the dealership or independent…

The light means that the airbag system is not working properly, and obviously, the risk of driving around without the system in proper working order is a common sense, no-brainer.

Can anyone share their thoughts and/or advice as a precursor to my taking it in?

BTW, some interesting reading here:
[www.carsdirect.com]

'01 boxster s, biarritz white/metropol blue, 123,456 smiles...
Take it to the dealer and tell them what happened. My local here cleared the code for free and it has not come back on. It is unlikely that you actually did anything to the airbag system just working with the seat.
That's what I'm hoping/thinking, Rob.

Just wondering if Mr. Trim accidentally nudged some of the sensor wiring in the cushion for the system. There's some complexity going on in the seat's underside. I wasn't about to tear into that job.

Mr. Trim used a support material commonly used by trim shops. I really feel that the OEM support webbing was of much better design and quality than that which he installed. Anyway, a little extra foam cushioning was added that provides me with a slightly better support and level of comfort.

Once I get the warning light under control, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride thumbs up soon, I hope!

So Frank you're in Chicago
MarknearChicago - Wednesday, 9 October, 2013, at 9:57:58 pm
Who did your seat repairs? Question by Mark near Chicago with a 2000S. Also, when I pulled my seat in my 97 Box hit the ignition and turned on the air-bag light, it cost me $60 to get Motorwerks to reset the light.
Re: Seat repair...
FrankZ, Chicago - Thursday, 10 October, 2013, at 1:33:40 am
Mark, I took my Boxster seat in to Mr. Trim (actual company name). A small, privately owned shop in Downers Grove, 30 years servicing auto tops and interiors. No affiliation, just very pleased with his work... his shop is always busy... upbeat and very personable guy. He'll even install the GAHH tops.
Here's the contact info:

Mr. Trim (Darrell Duchon, owner)
946 Ogden Avenue
Downers Grove, IL 60515

[mistertrim.com]
Mr.TrimUpholstery@gmail.com
Thanks, I work in Downers *NM*
MarknearChicago - Friday, 11 October, 2013, at 9:14:49 am
Mr. Trim, as opposed to
Laz - Friday, 11 October, 2013, at 9:28:58 am
There are several common possibilities, and i've seen them all
grant - Wednesday, 9 October, 2013, at 12:38:27 pm
The simplest is that the airbag detected an open. Since you disconected the batetry this should have been averted, btu maybe you didnt wait long enough? Clearing should fix.

The next is that the connector is not seated properly - either it IS open or showed an open for a moment. _ reset or close.

Next is the dreaded ground fault. Somethign int he latch does nto ground properly and the latch must be replaced. Why? I have no idea. grrrr.

There are other airbag errors but you dont seem to have touched those systems. Clock-springs (error 42?) are aprominent one. Cleaning and re-assembly fixed mine.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
The simplest is that the airbag detected an open. Since you disconected the batetry this should have been averted, btu maybe you didnt wait long enough? Clearing should fix.

Grant, would disconnecting/reconnecting the battery again (with seat as it is now connected), clear the (code) light and re-enable the system properly?

The next is that the connector is not seated properly - either it IS open or showed an open for a moment. _ reset or close.

I firmly believe that the connection is a good one... The connector seemed to mate smoothly/firmly.

Next is the dreaded ground fault. Somethign int he latch does nto ground properly and the latch must be replaced. Why? I have no idea. grrrr.

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one; where's the latch?

There are other airbag errors but you dont seem to have touched those systems. Clock-springs (error 42?) are aprominent one. Cleaning and re-assembly fixed mine.

"Clock-springs"? Can you elaborate on what & where these are?

Grant

Correcting the problem does nto shut off the light. You need a PST2. Even my bud's durametric was not very effective - its a crap shoot. But no, you can't just fix the problem (grrrrrr at Porsche)

The seatbelt latch - the thing you plug the belt into. It needs to be replaced sometimes. Why? we dont know.

Clock spring is a coiled ribbon cable in the steering wheel hub. It allows the wheel to turn, yet maintain connections to the wheel - such as the airbag wires. Its a bit of a PITA the first time to gain access, btu it can be done - once you know the tricks, fairly quickly. Biggest issue is dis-assembling and re-assembling the steering column trim.

It comes in a plastic round container about the shape of a roll of duct tape

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Thanks for the input, Grant...
FrankZ, Chicago - Thursday, 10 October, 2013, at 1:39:40 am
looks like I'll give it a go with the PST2, initially; fingers crossed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login