Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Electrical in 2000 base Boxster
AndyInNYC - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 2:58:26 pm
I'm looking at making some changes to my '00 Boxster and don't know if they are possible.

The car has a circular blank opposite the standard cig lighter adapter (ie its mirror on the dash). Can a second adapter be installed here without issue/trouble? Any idea of the cost?

I'm looking at wiring my garage remote into the 12V system. Along with the second lighter adapter (cell phone charger and GPS simultaneously) can the battery/system take all these (small) loads?

Happy New Year.

Andrew
Re: Electrical in 2000 base Boxster
Dave In MD - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 4:47:42 pm
I'm not sure of the use of the circular hole in the dash, but there is a connector that you can use behind the console. It runs my radar detector and GPS (or my lap timer on the track) and can be wired as either always hot or switched.

The connector is a 4 possition plug and it's behind the carpet section of the console. It just pops off. My lighter plug is connected to it with quick disconnect plugs in this picture.

electrical diagram.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
If you look ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 8:03:09 am
... Closely at the picture you can see that mine has a Radio Shack 12 volt adapter in place.
It has it's own cover for when it's unused.
You can just wire it in parallel with the cigarette lighter's wiring.

[i83.photobucket.com]

Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: If you look ...
AndyInNYC - Friday, 6 January, 2012, at 9:00:36 am
Pedro, I don't know what I'm looking for or at. What/which 12V adapter are you referring to.

My multi door garage door opener is a 3V Chamberlain model - it's the only one which will open my otherwise non-compatible garage doors. Radio Shack has the parts for me to convert the 12V to 3V so that I can wire in connectors to the replace the remote battery and hook up athe opener to a set of dash switches.

Is your connector the same as Dave's or different?

Dave, it sounds like your solution might be even easier than pulling the second blank on the dash; What are you using to hold the plug in place - it looks like some kind of clip as opposed to velcro. How secure is it? You pulled the carpet away for the picture, or does it look like that all the time? (I can't remember the last time I sat in the passenger seat)

Thanks guys.

Andrew
whall - Saturday, 7 January, 2012, at 4:15:02 pm
Here's the solution I did on my MY03 Boxster:

[www.renntech.org]

It works perfectly....looking like a factory installation. I installed the switch below the PSM disable switch on the left hand side of the center panel.

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 04:25PM by whall. (view changes)
Dave In MD - Saturday, 7 January, 2012, at 5:09:12 pm
The carpet was pulled off the console just to install the lighter and GPS holder in this picture. The cigarette lighter plug was wired to the 4 prong female behind the console and will take single crimp-on mini male plugs (don't recall exact name) that I found at the local electronics store. I did mine this way so I could use the switched connection so the GPS and other things powered by it are turned off with the key.

Here's the next picture in the sequence with the carpet back in place, the GPS mounted and plugged into the lighter adapter. The GPS mount is a Proclip.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login