Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Happy news after 15 months
JackintheBoxster - Wednesday, 6 November, 2013, at 12:30:36 pm
Some of you will remember that I had an engine die on my '01 base some years ago and, after a long wait and consultation with mechanics, I took the risky step last year and had a replacement engine put in. Many advised against it on obvious and solid grounds. I went ahead, though, having faith in Euro Imports, my Washington, D.C.-area independent mechanic. At the time he also did some other work on the car -- new clutch (obviously), a couple of tires, like that.

I took the car in today for an oil change to see how it has fared. Although I used to put 15-20,000 miles a year on the car, changes in my life now mean it's like 4 to 5,000 miles.

The bottom line is that the car is in excellent shape -- tires, everything else -- with the exception that the front pads and rotors need to be replaced.

I don't know that I would recommend an engine transplant as a general rule, but in this case, with this mechanic, it seems to have been a good idea.

I would, as I have before, recommend this shop to anyone in the Washington area or nearby.
Great to hear that it all worked out for you.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 6 November, 2013, at 12:55:35 pm
Sounds like you're really enjoying your car again and likely breathing a sigh of relief at the same time.

Enjoy.
There are risks, but i did the same thing and strongly urge it.
grant - Thursday, 7 November, 2013, at 7:19:41 am
..so long as the price is right.

Did you do DOF while it was out? I hope so.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I did as many known-weakness updates as was feasible - AoS, IMS bearing ( DoF did not exist at the time), motor mount, chain tensioners, hoses, clamps, plugs, tubes, blah, blah, blah.

Since the tranny is also now out do gear oil, throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch disk, lube a clean external moving parts, check tranny mounts (guess who didn't despite 190+k, they failed after about 6 track-days, oops).

Today i'd do standard IMS bearing ($100) and DoF.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login