Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
New Boxster Owner in need of advice.
eicheldp - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 12:34:18 pm
Hello from Allentown, PA.

I recently purchased an 04 Boxster S with 16,000 miles. Lapis Blue Metallic, Graphite Grey Top, Tiptronic, Bose, Cruise, Chrome Exhaust, 18" Lt Alloy Carrera wheels.

Soon after I received the car, I visited the local dealer because the warning light for the convertible top was lit. I asked if they could help me and was told it would take 3 to 4 hours of technician time to diagnose the problem because it was a complicated piece of the car. I declined and finally figured out the light was on because I did not let the top run to the stop position when closing.

I was recently advised that I should install the Techno FIX DOF on my car due to the low mileage as a preventative measure. Can anyone please recommend a repair shop in my area to install this equipment?

Thanks in advance.

Here's a link to some photos of my car.

[s803.photobucket.com]
Welcome
grant - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 12:59:49 pm
First, tell us more about what warning light is lit; what does the top do and not do, etc.

Second, as to shops in your area - i don't live there. But if you don't mind traveling to central/north NJ i can suggest many:

1. Autohaus - Peakpack NJ, Gene, (908) 376-9117
2. Precision Motorsports Racing, Long Valley NJ, Will, (908) 832-6572

use my name.

The DOF is a very good idea. Step #1 is to confirm that the bearing is still OK. If you think you will need clutch work any time in the near future, 80% of the labor is common, so doing both is the best idea.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Welcome
eicheldp - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 6:50:23 pm
Grant,

Thanks for the reference. to your repair shops. I appreciate the info. With regard to the warning light, everything is fine. I just failed to hold the dash switch long enough for the top to close the first few times. It works great after I discovered my error.
Lubricate the various pivot points for the top with some good lubricant ( i use Wurth HHS2000).

Change your oil regularly with use and climate appropriate synthetic, at roughly 2x the suggested interval. More if you drive infrequently, short trips, and easy.
Less if you take lots of long, highway trips that boil off water and acid.

Get a GOOD alignment - it makes a big difference for (lots o) beer money. Saves tires too, although not necessarily the way i have the m aligned :-)

And enjoy the car. Its got magnificent balance and human feedback.

Grant

Grant

Re: New Boxster Owner in need of advice.
BLKBOXS - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 1:11:43 pm
Congrats...Beauty car eh!!

Next time ...sooner than later...you get an oil change have your indy rip apart your oil filter and see if there are any metal or plastic nasty bits. If it looks like a starry night than you need to jump into action.

Grant: This car is a tiptronic.

MIKELLIG
Probably wont have a clitch then, eh? *NM*
grant - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 1:18:51 pm
Grant

Re: Probably wont have a clitch then, eh?
Roger987 - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 2:01:56 pm
That's ok; sounds as if his local dealer would be happy to replace the clutch for him anyway.
Yea, me too :-) *NM*
grant - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 2:39:02 pm
Grant

Welcome to PedrosBoard! ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 3:55:04 pm
... I'm sure you'll soon find out this is a great community and a good place to hang out.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Congrats, nice-looking example...
Rick (Nashville, TN) - Friday, 27 December, 2013, at 5:19:28 pm
Welcome to Porsche ownership.

If this is your first-ever Boxster, please take some time to *thoroughly* read the owner's manual from front to back. It contains a ton of valuable operating information regarding your car.

Enjoy your beautiful new Boxster to the fullest!

Regards, -rick.
Welcome to the board
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 28 December, 2013, at 8:04:30 am
Great looking Boxster you have there.

The more you drive it, the more you'll enjoy and appreciate how great these cars handle.

On a warm sunny day, you'll suffer from a common Boxster owner ailment called Permagrin. Once you get it, you won't want a cure. smiling smiley
Re: New Boxster Owner in need of advice.
Tony in Whittier - Sunday, 29 December, 2013, at 6:56:22 pm
I would think twice about going back to that dealer. That light issue is so obvious that I am shocked that they wanted to charge you, let alone 3 hours of diagnostic time. Find another dealer or a trusted independent shop.
My thoughts exactly! *NM*
Meredith in Atlanta - Monday, 30 December, 2013, at 8:00:45 pm
You may have missed....
grant - Tuesday, 31 December, 2013, at 9:20:48 am
Our banter above about the dealer being a good candidate to replace a clutch in an automatic....

Grant

Re: You may have missed....
eicheldp - Tuesday, 31 December, 2013, at 10:01:39 am
No, I caught that one. smiling smiley I have to keep on good terms with the dealer because his parts are much less expensive than the Porsche dealer in Conshohocken.
... where you can get OEM discounted parts.
[bertsmithparts.com]
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks Pedro. I hope you have a Healthy, Safe & Prosperous New Year
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login