Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Chris Harris, Norbert Singer & the 962
Laz - Friday, 21 February, 2014, at 12:14:37 pm
Best parts are Singer's insights into the 962's development. Chris Harris is good as always, but the in-car audio gets (no kidding!) a bit garbled.
[www.youtube.com]
That's a great find
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 21 February, 2014, at 12:59:57 pm
Laz
Best parts are Singer's insights into the 962's development. Chris Harris is good as always, but the in-car audio gets (no kidding!) a bit garbled.

What an experience! The interview with Norbert Singer was really interesting. Show's just how difficult and complex it is to design effective aerodynamics. Chris Harris, as usual, does a great job of the interview and test drive.
Not bad for noodling. smiling smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 21 February, 2014, at 3:16:59 pm
Interesting how first they tried to copy what F1 was doing at the time and that made the car handle worse. Lots of trial and error to find what works for each individual car and even the changes required for one track compared to another. Even how making a change at the back of the car would have an effect on the front end handling characteristics.
"What a car! ... What a bloke!" ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 22 February, 2014, at 10:25:06 am
... I like that quote.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Herr Singer noted the car had a "spool". From what I can find, a spool means the differential is locked! Really?

Someone edumacate me on this one. Why the heck would you want a car with sticky tires on pavement to have a locked differential? The are would push and not turn, so to speak. What am I missing?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
tracks. A spool doesn't allow any speed difference between the two rear wheels and I can't imagine the axles holding together in a turn of any severity with tires with any grip.
here's the spool they used ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 25 February, 2014, at 10:19:06 am
... made from titanium

[www.porsche.evengest.com]

But according to the website that hosts the image, the 956 gearbox had limited sleep differential plus a titanium spool.

Most of the driver reports state that the cars "understeered like a pig".

Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I was just commenting in the context of Bruce's question.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login