Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Situation:

You had the car hot at full operating temperature and then parked the car where you are to do an oil change. Next day, why would you need to bring the oil up to temp again? Didn't everything drain out of the engine and is now sitting in the pan?

Talk amongst yourselves......

Peace
Bruce in Philly
..circulate the cold oil and are back at square #1

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Only if ...
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 15 March, 2014, at 9:36:32 pm
you don't see the drain plug and filter except by looking at the underside of the engine?????

Got distracted did ya?
I did my oil change on tepid oil but did not move or start the car. Yes, I got distracted. Good point on suspended particulates (or is it particulants?). Now wouldn't these be filtered by the oil filter? The smaller stuff, metallic, should get stuck to my magnetic plug no? What else could be circulating in there? C'mon, feed my active mind!

My rational for doing it on not-hot oil was that I didn't have the time, I am doing changes at 7K intervals whereas the spec is 10K miles, I have a magnetic plug, and I do a filter change also. The supplies are cheap from Pelican.

So you want to know the results from the magnet? Do you want to know about the gory carnage that was stuck to the magnet? Really? Ok, wait for it...... NOTHING! The magnet surface is silver and there was a super-thin smudge of black "oil" on it. Sorry to disappoint.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Dumb question about oil changes
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 15 March, 2014, at 9:42:40 pm
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S)
Situation:

You had the car hot at full operating temperature and then parked the car where you are to do an oil change. Next day, why would you need to bring the oil up to temp again? Didn't everything drain out of the engine and is now sitting in the pan?

Talk amongst yourselves......

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Yes. Everything is sitting at the bottom of the pan next day. Some of it may not flush out with the cold oil.

If you've been running the engine, any partcle will be more likely suspended in the oil and be more likely to flush out with the draining oil.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Yes and no
Boxsterra - Sunday, 16 March, 2014, at 1:37:25 pm
The oil doesn't flow as well then it's cold so although nearly all of the oil will be in the pan it will be slower to come out and there may be remnants of both oil and particles left in the pan. It's usually the "last little bit" that has most of the particles.

If you're trying to get everything out of a bottle, would you rather have the bottle be filled with water or ketchup?
Scotch, please.smiling smiley *NM*
Roger987 - Sunday, 16 March, 2014, at 8:26:41 pm
That Mobil 1 if pretty free-flowing oil. If you read these comments (on all the forums) about needing oil to be hot to flow, you would think it is molasses at room temp. I can empty a bottle of cold Mobil 1 pretty darn quickly and completely.

Just sayin'

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S)
That Mobil 1 if pretty free-flowing oil. If you read these comments (on all the forums) about needing oil to be hot to flow, you would think it is molasses at room temp. I can empty a bottle of cold Mobil 1 pretty darn quickly and completely.

Just sayin'

Peace
Bruce in Philly

I haven't changed my own oil for a while. When I did, once I emptied the "pretty free flowing" oil, I'd set the almost empty oil bottle on the warm engine for a few minutes to warm it up. The warmed up remainder always flowed quicker. Oil at 70○ isn't like molasses, but it is thicker than hot oil.
not really. *NM*
grant - Monday, 17 March, 2014, at 6:51:55 pm
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login