Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Boxsters and Caymans are freaking expensive!
Meredith in Atlanta - Saturday, 15 March, 2014, at 1:09:07 pm
And in other news, the sun will most likely rise in the morning...

Anyway, this 2014k Cayman base that I'm driving as a loaner is nice, but wayyyy too much on the instrument panel.... not intuitive enough for my tastes. Out of curiosity we found the MON and this car retails for $63K! And it's not even an S!

It has a ton of upgrades including Basalt black, aerated seats, colored crest, sound package ($4600!), Convenience package... it goes on and on.... but I miss the days when you could get a new Boxster for $42K....

I'm not complaining, but this is true sticker shock.
Re: Boxsters and Caymans are freaking expensive!
BLKBOXS - Saturday, 15 March, 2014, at 5:01:08 pm
Yes they arethumbs down...however wait 1.5-2 years for a 30% discountthumbs up

I purchased my with 12K Miles for 50%+ off sticker of a new one...thank you original owner for taking great care of my Porsche. We still talk once a year and he is always interested how the car is doing. I am in Canada and he is in sunny Cal.

Mike

MIKELLIG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 05:05PM by BLKBOXS. (view changes)
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 15 March, 2014, at 9:32:29 pm
Boxsters really are a good deal in comparison to when they first came out. US prices back in the late 90's started around $40K . Now the start around $50K . For tnat you are getting a lot more as standard, like OBC, PSM, bigger engine, more power etc.

Then there's inflation to take into account. Are you earning anymore today than you were back in 2000? Notice price of gas? It's gone up a lot since 2000.

Some of the options you mentioned weren't even available in 2000. Go easy on the options and you could get a nice Boxster in the low $50's

Also, remember the Cayman costs about $2K more than a Boxster. Crazy, but true.
MikenOH - Sunday, 16 March, 2014, at 9:47:22 am
Guenter in Ontario
Boxsters really are a good deal in comparison to when they first came out. US prices back in the late 90's started around $40K . Now the start around $50K . For tnat you are getting a lot more as standard, like OBC, PSM, bigger engine, more power etc.

Then there's inflation to take into account. Are you earning anymore today than you were back in 2000? Notice price of gas? It's gone up a lot since 2000.

Some of the options you mentioned weren't even available in 2000. Go easy on the options and you could get a nice Boxster in the low $50's

Also, remember the Cayman costs about $2K more than a Boxster. Crazy, but true.

+1; our '99' cost us $45K with the "sport" package on it, which didn't include much; in today's $'s that's about $63K , which is just a bit more than the discounted price was on our 2013 Boxster S.

For the same relative $'s your get a much faster, better handling, better equipped car than the earlier model.

As Mike noted, you can get into a very expensive car if you hit the option "buffet" line too heavily; the basic car has enough on it too make it a satisfying car to drive. Having said that, Porsche knows what most buyers want on a car in this price range and puts some options in packages rather than a la carte; you want heated seats, well, you have to buy a "convenience package" for $1200 to get them.
OBC, PSM, bigger engine, more power etc.
Bobtesa - Sunday, 16 March, 2014, at 6:49:14 pm
The "etc." is a big deal. Besides the inflation adjusted price that Boxsterra calculates, the other etc's to add to Guenter's list include

rear class window (with defogger)
top up/down while driving
direct injection (that's a pretty big deal)
from what I have heard, improved soft top for noise reduction
bi-xenon is standard (I think)
I also think larger wheels are standard compared with the first Boxster and S model

On the down-side, it seems pretty chincy to eliminate a spare tire.

Granted, you can get a lot of pricey options, few of which improve performance (and fewer which hold value on resale), but I don't think Boxsters are relatively more expensive then when they started, and maybe even a better value.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: OBC, PSM, bigger engine, more power etc.
Meredith in Atlanta - Sunday, 16 March, 2014, at 8:33:21 pm
Bobtesa
The "etc." is a big deal. Besides the inflation adjusted price that Boxsterra calculates, the other etc's to add to Guenter's list include

rear class window (with defogger)
top up/down while driving
direct injection (that's a pretty big deal)
from what I have heard, improved soft top for noise reduction
bi-xenon is standard (I think)
I also think larger wheels are standard compared with the first Boxster and S model

On the down-side, it seems pretty chincy to eliminate a spare tire.

Granted, you can get a lot of pricey options, few of which improve performance (and fewer which hold value on resale), but I don't think Boxsters are relatively more expensive then when they started, and maybe even a better value.

Spare tire - indeed. When I purchased my 2006 Cayman S (used in 2007) I went with the tire warranty package and boy, did that save me $$$. Living in a construction zone, the guys got so used to coming to see me that they knew me by name. I went for it this time as it included ding repair and a number of other extras.

I cannot wait to get my Boxster back tomorrow with the new clutch .... and paint repair from the guy that hit me last week. I'm so freaking excited!!!!
I stopped looking
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 15 March, 2014, at 9:33:41 pm
when the car I really wanted exceeded $97k. And there weren't a lot of "looks" options in my config.

There are only discouraging forays to the used car mega sites to content me. They show how even dealer owned low mileage 918s are still a lot more than the $3.6k I paid for my first new Porsche and it had every option orderable.

Amazing how few are out there for sale in the 2014 model year of either rag or hard top even expanding the search area to the entire US.

Now that spring fever has hit, I told my wife today that when I win the lottery ...
In love...
Meredith in Atlanta - Sunday, 16 March, 2014, at 12:15:36 am
2010 PCO Boxster (base) with some really nice options at $35K.... and now with a new (free) clutch/flywhweel, battery... not that i should have paid for those, but it's nice that they're new.

I absolutely LOVE my car... I cannot wait to get it back.. And it will be clean as a whistle after this ridiculous Winter.

Can't wait to see the BRBS crowd!
Re: In love...
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 16 March, 2014, at 9:13:51 am
Meredith in Atlanta
2010 PCO Boxster (base) with some really nice options at $35K.... and now with a new (free) clutch/flywhweel, battery... not that i should have paid for those, but it's nice that they're new.

I absolutely LOVE my car... I cannot wait to get it back.. And it will be clean as a whistle after this ridiculous Winter.

Can't wait to see the BRBS crowd!

I know what you mean. Your car really looks terrific. Now you're getting into convertible weather, so you'll love it even more.
IIRC my first year of issue 914 (with chrome bumpers and black vinyl top supports which made it the first years top dog) cost that.

I loved that car. But getting it sold one week before the 2-year warranty expired was the smartest car transaction I ever had. I got a BMW and my now wife (of 40+ years) has said that, if I had still had the 914, she would have been warned away.

Next best was buying my used '99 at ~$4k under internet pricing from a lady whose expanding family and expanding need for what she perceived as status said she needed a Hummer .. the really big one to drive the half mile to her club. In the spring!!! As it was sitting in her driveway waiting for me to get a ride to pick it up, one of her kids on his bike appeared to have scratched one of the doors and so she paid me the estimated cost to get it fixed at a body shop. A little of my elbow grease and some wax and I never saw the scratches. As winter approached I wrecked it and got paid about $1k more than internet pricing by a generous insurance company. So the 986 was driven for maybe 4-5 months and I pocketed several hundred and then several thousand in the transactions. A few months later I had an '01S and still had cash in my pocket.

P-cars don't have to be expensive ... if you are lucky.
And, w/o "look" options!
Re: I stopped looking
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Monday, 17 March, 2014, at 11:49:55 am
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
...They show how even dealer owned low mileage 918s are still a lot more than the $3.6k I paid for my first new Porsche and it had every option orderable.

Amazing how few are out there for sale in the 2014 model year of either rag or hard top even expanding the search area to the entire US.

Now that spring fever has hit, I told my wife today that when I win the lottery ...

I imagine there are not many cheap 918s out there!
The price has gone down over the years
Boxsterra - Sunday, 16 March, 2014, at 1:46:37 pm
In 1998, a Boxster base price was $40k
In 2013, that is equivalent to $56.7k
The base price of a 2014 Boxster (in 2013) is $50k

In 2000, the Boxster S was introduced with a base price of $51.4k.
In 2013, that is equivalent to $73k
The base price of a 2014 Boxster S (in 2013) is $62k.

Though Porsche has moved to having more expensive options so it is possible to option one up to be more expensive.
Re: The price has gone down over the years
Meredith in Atlanta - Sunday, 16 March, 2014, at 3:59:47 pm
Boxsterra
Though Porsche has moved to having more expensive options so it is possible to option one up to be more expensive.
Yeah, I think that's what I was getting at... When I optioned my first Boxster (back in '00!), my options raised my price way less than one today. And this was tiptronic. Wish I could see that sticker again -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login