Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hardtop Fit Question
Tom F. - Monday, 13 December, 2010, at 11:36:57 pm
A few weeks ago I bought a Craigslist hardtop for my 986, and I love it. This is for a top liner less 2000, and the quiet and heat retention, plus the rear defrost, are great.

My question is about fit. The top went on with a bit of work, but there is no windnoise and no leaks during rain or when I wash the car. However, there is enough squeaking when I go over bumps and stuff that a passenger noticed it. Is that normal?

I'm reluctant to adjust - and I have no instructions- the hardtop, especially since it is leak free and looks good. I'm just wondering how high my expectations should be. Is yours quiet?
Re: Hardtop Fit Question
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 8:11:43 am
How old was the hardtop? Is the squeak near the windshield or in back near the engine cover? Have you done anything to the rubber seals to make them more supple...like GummiPflege them? Adjusted the spinlocks so the hardtop makes slightly different contact?
Tom F. - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 9:45:02 am
The hardtop is a year newer than my car, and I actually looked at three before buying, this one showed the least wear and tear. The noise seems to come from the passenger side front. Its not bad, but it is there.

I'm a little unclear on adjusting the spinlocks, but of course there are the adjustment points on either side of the hardtop itself, but I haven't been able to find instructions on adjustment, though I am sure they are in a factory manual somewhere.

But before I got to carried away adjusting things - like I said it doesn't leak air or water - I was wondering just what other people experience when they are, for instance, going over a speedbump.

Thanks

Tom F.
2000 2.7
My experience
Roger987 - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 10:31:34 am
Not with a Boxster, but a 97 BMW 328iC. which I had for probably 7 or 8 years. It was a convertible, ordered from the factory with an optional removable hardtop, which had all the benefits you describe.

Despite numerous attempts at adjusting it, occassional rattles/squeaks prevailed. It was completely windproof and waterproof, and made the car much more quiet (particularly at higher speeds), but also introduced its own little noises.

The 3 series convertible is a two-plus-two car, with a longer cabin than even a 911. As a result, the BMW had more flex than that of the Boxster (although I read that this flex may have been intentional, to offer a smoother ride). But more chassis flex = more squeaking. You may have better luck with yours.

As a first measure, I'd try Gummiflege on any rubber seals that may be squeaking. It won't help with rattles though.

Incidentally, I was so fond of that Bimmer, I kept it for a year after buying the Boxster; I just wasn't sure I was ready to part with it. But by the end of that year, the Boxster was clearly so much more a responsive sports car than the Bimmer, I was comfortable letting the BMW go. Sometimes I miss the back seat, but not enough to make me seriously consider leaving the fold. smiling smiley
Clif R - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 3:38:33 pm
tom, i think i have the adjustment information at home. if you want me to dig it out i will, let me know. i have a 03 s and a 99 top with dog ears on the side. the triangular plate comes off (above the red handles) and there are 3 bolts. i used a piece of rubber to be sure it was the same height off the rear deck on both sides. it should compress the rubber seal (gasket) without flattening it) one of the areas that may cause squeaking is the two horns on the leading edge of the top . they should both have a little plastic cone that fits over them improving the fit into the top of the windshield area. i just bought two of them and can get the info to you. one place wanted 3.80 each another .79 cents.

i think maurice has the information online. clif
Me too: Maurice?
Tom F. - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 4:27:31 pm
Clif,

I think you've got some good ideas - in fact I know it. The source of the noise may well be the passenger side "horn", but any info on the cones or adjusting the bolts behind those side panels would be appreciated.

Tom F.
Re: Me too: Maurice?
MauriceonLongIsland - Wednesday, 15 December, 2010, at 12:17:27 am
Tom F.
Clif,

I think you've got some good ideas - in fact I know it. The source of the noise may well be the passenger side "horn", but any info on the cones or adjusting the bolts behind those side panels would be appreciated.

Tom F.

Tom:

Sorry... I've been away for longer than I wanted to be...angry smiley

If the noise is coming from the front, I agree with Cliff, especially if it's only coming from one side. Those little caps go missing on a lot of Boxster hardtops and they definitely cause squeaks/rattles.

Porsche calls them "pilot pin caps" and the part number is 986 563 625 03.

Release the latch and push up on the underside of the front edge of the top to get it very slightly up and back and you should be able to see whether you are missing one (or both) of those little caps.

If that's not it, the Gummipfledge works really well for eliminating squeaks.

After that, you can make adjustments to get the top to lock down tighter on top of the clamshell by means of the bolts inside that little plate above the spinlock handles.

Regards, Maurice.
I don't remember how long it took for my 2000S hardtop to start to squeak and creak, but let's say 5 years. It was driving me nuts. The creaks were coming from inside the hardtop. I flipped the top on a thick carpet and popped off all the plastic parts and liner stuff. It all came our real easy and went back together fine with no snaps breaking. It is really no big deal to snap all of this apart - just have some courage as it will be fine. Remember, that top has to twist and flex.

There are rub points that had flocking on them (I think it was flocking - if not it was some coating to no allow creaking) and they were worn through. This was all through the top and I think my biggest creaks came from where the mounting pins (spin locks) are located. I am sorry I can't remember more details. I think I used some heave duct tape and some other materials and "re-coated" the rub spots. I snapped it together and the thing has not made a single creak since.

Take it apart and you will see. Total, it will take you less than 1 hour to do all of this.
Thanks everyone...
Tom F. - Wednesday, 15 December, 2010, at 8:04:49 pm
Its about 20 degrees out right now, so I may wait a few days, but lots of good ideas!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login