Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Mustang
JackintheBoxster - 9 years ago
This will be an unusual post for this board.

The other day I saw the new Mustang in the flesh for the first time. I have to say I was impressed, at least with its looks. It was, to use two words not often applied to Mustangs, understated and elegant looking, at least relatively so.

I had a Mustang GT before my 986, and can attest that the driving experience of the two cars is quite different. I'm not a snob, though, and if Mustang could improve the handling of the previous models, I think it would be a car worth considering for some drivers.

Along similar lines, I gather that the new Corvette is a much better-handling car than its predecessors and the mid-engine version I've read about should be a further improvement.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Except for the Mustang II, which at least had some of the characteristics, although not the character. Mustangs are like the 911, which have always maintained their identity. The opposite being Buick, which I ranted about some time ago. Whoever came up with the latest ad campaign, and the people who approved it must be insane. "Hey, we built the wrong car for a hundred years; we finally realize the mistake, and here's a Buick that doesn't look like a Buick anymore!" Yeah, their sales are up, but what an insult to any reasonably intelligent person. Ridiculous.
The pace car was a Mustang. Its tires howled on virtually every corner while all the Boxsters behind it, going the same speed, went about their business with no fuss whatsoever.

Compared to the mid-engine handling of the Boxsters (and these were 986 and 987's), the Mustang was tragic.

Porsche. There is no substitute.

I agree, though, for North American iron, it has a good muscle-car look.
They were both running at about the same pace: the Italia moving smartly, but not being pushed; and the Crown Vic, a real beater, was, well, being flogged. You could hear its tires howling at every turn all the way around the course. It was amusing enough for me, and I'll bet the driver was having a ball, driving like one of the damned on holiday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 05:15AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login