Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Aside from the 911
JackintheBoxster - Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, at 1:31:07 pm
there was another iconic sports car of the 1960s and if its manufacturer had stuck as closely to its lines as Porsche has with its subsequent sportscars the world would be a better place. Here is a nice piece from The Economist on it: [www.economist.com]
My '67 XK-E
whall - Wednesday, 15 December, 2010, at 9:01:41 pm
My second Jaguar, July 1968, Corpus Christi, TX. Nothing says Student Naval Aviator like a 1967 XK-E, with a 265 HP 4.2 liter engine, four speed transmission, desert beige/natural leather and triple laced chromed wire wheels.

Neither the XK-E or my earlier 1960 XK-150 suffered from the tender mercies of the Prince of Darkness, John Lucas. Neither did either leak oil. But, they both suffered from overheating problems. I was the only person running my XK-150's heater full blast in the Sacramento Summer traffic. The XK-E handled the Corpus Christi Summer temperatures pretty well but, strangely enough, didn't do as well in the more temporate climes of San Jose, CA.

They were both daily drivers; neither had air-conditioning; if I recall correctly, only the XK-E had a radio....monaural at that. I wish I still had either one.

Bill
Re: My '67 XK-E
MauriceonLongIsland - Wednesday, 15 December, 2010, at 9:23:27 pm
whall
My second Jaguar, July 1968, Corpus Christi, TX. Nothing says Student Naval Aviator like a 1967 XK-E, with a 265 HP 4.2 liter engine, four speed transmission, desert beige/natural leather and triple laced chromed wire wheels.

Neither the XK-E or my earlier 1960 XK-150 suffered from the tender mercies of the Prince of Darkness, John Lucas. Neither did either leak oil. But, they both suffered from overheating problems. I was the only person running my XK-150's heater full blast in the Sacramento Summer traffic. The XK-E handled the Corpus Christi Summer temperatures pretty well but, strangely enough, didn't do as well in the more temporate climes of San Jose, CA.

They were both daily drivers; neither had air-conditioning; if I recall correctly, only the XK-E had a radio....monaural at that. I wish I still had either one.

Bill

Whoah, Bill!!! That is some photograph, and a true blast from the past!

Regards, Maurice.
That was my favorite car of all time
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 15 December, 2010, at 9:25:44 pm
The E-Jag's lines were pure sex! I still remember a poster I once had in my dorm room - it showed in profile: a wine bottle on its side, an XK-E and a reclining naked woman!
2006 Boxster, Silver w/Metropol Blue, Sports/Chrono pkg & 19" Carrera S wheels.
I have been looking for a copy of that poster - but no luck so far!
Beautiful car Bill! *NM*
CarreraLicious - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 1:11:03 pm
Beautiful car. Had a friend in the
Dave In MD - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 3:23:49 pm
late 70s who put a chevy 350 into one. I must say I never really got the "why" he did that. Maybe reliability and usability as a DD.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Re: Beautiful car. Had a friend in the
Wayne K - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 4:40:33 pm
Dave In MD
late 70s who put a chevy 350 into one. I must say I never really got the "why" he did that. Maybe reliability and usability as a DD.

I also had a friend that had a 63 XKE that put a small block Chevy in it because the original would have been more costly to rebuild. If I recall correctly the Chevy setup weighed less and positioned the weight farther back and lower. I remember it handled better and was faster than the original too.
Wow!
dghii - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 3:37:57 pm
I can see why you'd want that one back!

One of my all time favorites...from the time Santa brought my brother and I an Aurora HO slot car set in in 1964 with a split windowed vette and an XKE convertible..

Heck, I'd settle for having the slot car set back.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login