Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I am a long time lurker and occasional poster beginning in 1997.
1997 Boxster Arena Red
2000 Boxster S Blue
2005 Boxster S Grey
2011 Boxster S Speed Yellow

Each spring about this time of the year I go crazy and look to buy a car.
At the recent car show I fell in love with a BMW M4 convertible in Yas Marina Blue.
This is certainly not a Porsche but is a fun car in it's own right.
Where the Porsche is a "switchblade " in feel ( light, toss-able, effortless) the BMW is more of a " sledgehammer" feeling heavier, more powerful but still planted.
Lots of toys in the BMW with adjustable everything.

I have convinced myself that I have Porsche fatigue after having driven the same car for 18 years.

Am I crazy?
Will this pass?
Should I put the top down in the cold weather to clear my mind??
I have the license plate " BOXSTER ", would this fit on a BMW?
Should I wait for the 918 ?

I remember Dennis from PA who changed to a Mustang if I remember correctly.
He seemed happy with the change.

I know that the choice is mine and I am really conflicted.

Bill S
Hi Bill. Great to see you unlurking.

As far as you decision making. There really is only one person who knows what YOU enjoy driving. That's the guy that was facing you when you were shaving this morning (assuming you shave.). My suggestion would be on a sunny day drive a 2016 Boxster S or GTS (if you can still find one at a dealer). Then go to a BMW dealer and take an M4 out for a drive on the same route I'd take them both on the type of roads that you enjoy driving. I'd include both town / city, freeway and back roads twisties on a 25 - 30 mile route. By then end of the two test drives, you should have the answer to your question.

The reason I suggest taking out a new Boxster is just to make it a fair comparison so both cars are new and also the fact that the 981 is a definite upgrade from your 987.

As far as the Dennis that you mention. I'm sure he'll pipe in here. Yes, he first went to a Z car. Then he bought a Mustang. And now? Yup, he's driving a Cayman.

Just my $0.02 worth.

PS, no point in waiting for a 918. They've all been sold for a while. Besides, if you have enough money to buy a 918, you could just use some of that money and buy both a new Boxster and an M4 and still have a ton of money left for fabulous man cave garage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 08:52AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Thanks
You are right
Took the Boxster out this am
Beautiful spring day
I think that the fatigue has passed
BTW I am looking for a 718
I mistyped the 918
Maybe that was a Freudian slip!

Bill S
Well, with your buying pattern, if you don't like your choice, a couple years down the road you can sell and buy again. The M4 gets great reviews, but so do a lot of cars. Doesn't mean a car guy would be happy with each and every one. For car people, it's personal, and little things could be the determining factors between enjoyment and displeasure. For the masses, it's simply a mode of transportation. So, try it, and who knows, you may never come back to a Porsche you like the BWM so much. Most of the BMW complaints of late, however, have been the driving experience and steering. Seems like BMW is gearing more towards the masses and lots of purists aren't happy (sound familiar with a certain brand you've been driving the past 15 years?).
Part of the fun of life -- at least in my opinion -- is being able to contemplate new cars, one's potentially next car.

Nothing wrong with looking at any car that catches your eye. Not wrong to buy it if that is what you want. Your money. Your decision.

I've been looking at another car. I've been while not all over the map over a good part of it.

Won't bore you with the details of my "search".

But believe it or not, I'm sort of come back to thinking about a new Cayman S. My biggest road block is I just do not want to buy the 1st year of a new model.

Tech at the local dealer is out this week at training. I will speak to him next week after he returns to get his take on the new models.

But of course I have not settled on anything yet.

But it is all fun and costs nothing but a bit of time to play "what if".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login