Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I bought my 2006 Boxster S from a Porsche in New Port Beach Cal. and shipped it up to Southern Ontario in 2010.

My query is: In Ontario we have a drive clean system that checks to our emission stds and my results are: (for the last 3 times)

HC ppm: 3 .(.limit 58)
CO%: 0 (limit .32)
NO ppm 0 (limit 435)

Is the California cars detuned to reach the above stated emission results?? and if so any recommendations?

PS: My Boxster is running great ...no issues....just curious.

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
I bought my 2006 Boxster S from a Porsche in New Port Beach Cal. and shipped it up to Southern Ontario in 2010.

My query is: In Ontario we have a drive clean system that checks to our emission stds and my results are: (for the last 3 times)

HC ppm: 3 .(.limit 58)
CO%: 0 (limit .32)
NO ppm 0 (limit 435)

Is the California cars detuned to reach the above stated emission results?? and if so any recommendations?

PS: My Boxster is running great ...no issues....just curious.

No. The car is as it came from the factory. There is no CA tune and a separate 49 state tune. (A number of other states, mainly in the east, have adapted CA emissions limits as their own, too.)

Might add modern cars are very clean running. (Tighter emissions for cars is just politics.)

My advice would be to take care of the car, give it proper servicing and enjoy the heck out of it.

In case you are interested, here are some numbers from my 2002 Boxster tested back in May of 2014. (It has been "tested" since but not with the exhaust sniffer.)

The 15mph test:
RPM: 2579; %CO2: 15.0 (meas.); %O2: 0.0 (meas.); HC (PPM): Max 58, Avg 4, Meas 57; CO (%): Max 0.52, Avg 0.01, Meas 0.12; NO (PPM): Max 451, Avg 27, Meas 0. Pass.

The 25mph test:
RPM: 2586: %CO2: 15.0 (meas.); %O2: 0.0 (meas.); HC (PPM): Max 42, Avg 4, Meas 47; CO (%): Max 0.50, Avg 0.01, Meas 0.14; NO (PPM): Max 738, Avg 26, Meas 0. FAIL

Failed because HC was too high.

After a spirited drive of around 50 miles and an hour and a half later the test was redone. Here are the results.

The 15mph test:
RPM: 1577; %CO2: 15.0 (meas.); %O2: 0.0 (meas.); HC (PPM): Max 58, Avg 4, Meas 29; CO (%): Max 0.52, Avg 0.01, Meas 0.15; NO (PPM): Max 451, Avg 27, Meas 4. Pass.

The 25mph test:
RPM: 2611: %CO2: 15.0 (meas.); %O2: 0.0 (meas.); HC (PPM): Max 42, Avg 4, Meas 20; CO (%): Max 0.50, Avg 0.01, Meas 0.05; NO (PPM): Max 738, Avg 26, Meas 0. Pass.

The above test was done with 279354 miles on the car (the 1st test with 279276 miles). The converters were the original converters. Not long after the test I had the original converters replaced. One had a loose brick and knocked when cold and buzzed when hot and occasionally triggered a P0430 error and a CEL. The noises were very irritating towards the last and the CEL was a nuisance.

Since then the car has not been subjected to the sniffer test but has passed at least one smog check using the plug in to the car's OBD2 port method. Essentially this confirms there are no active/pending error codes and all the readiness monitors are set to complete or if any aren't set to complete the number is below the max allowed to not be set to complete and the one (or more) that aren't set to complete are not the most critical ones.
Thanks MarcW

That is what I thought...and I will take your advice.

I have a lot of driving to do to catch up to you.thumbs up

MIKELLIG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login