Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Oil pressure
Joanne in OC - 7 years ago
In the past month, 2 times I have an alert that my oil pressure is too high. Both times it went away. The 1st time I was coming home, didn't drive far and it went off the next time I drove it. The 2nd time I was leaving my house, was going to drive a distance. A day later it was still on, didn't drive, A week later it was off..... The alert comes up when I start the car.

I thought I would check the oil level, but can't figure out how to do that. I've been too busy to try and find it in the manual. I had the oil changed about 2 months ago.

Joanne
Re: Oil pressure
MikenOH - 7 years ago
Joanne
Did a warning light come on? I've not seen that one.

In the right pod you can set up the display to show any number of functions--oil pressure/temp/volts etc..

Once you have it set up, you can measure your oil level while the car is running; it's all controlled with the stalk on the bottom,right side of the wheel.

Here's a video of how you get to manipulate the screen.

BTW, this video has more functions that our Boxster has so it was probably off a different model.
To check the oil level, it's best to check it when the engine is fully warmed up and has been running for 10 - 15 minutes. Once you open the trunk for a while, you won't be able to check the oil pressure until the next time you've driven the car for a while again.

• Have your trip computer showing "Vehicle" just below the gas gauge.
  • Press forward on the selector
  • Select "Check Oil Pressure

Oil level should NOT be in the top segment. Ideal is to have it look like this.

If it is in the top segment, oil has been over filled. I'd get the dealer to drain some if this is the case.

Under "Vehicle" you can customize what information you want to see in this area, including oil pressure.
I see all of that.... according to the gauge my oil pressure is ok. But the alert was still on. .... I think, if I remember correct, it was in the top section.

My problem is that by the time I bring it to the dealer, the alert goes away. Not sure if that's good or bad, but very frustrating

Joanne
Joanne in OC
I see all of that.... according to the gauge my oil pressure is ok. But the alert was still on. .... I think, if I remember correct, it was in the top section.

My problem is that by the time I bring it to the dealer, the alert goes away. Not sure if that's good or bad, but very frustrating

Joanne

Does the message say oil pressure is high? The picture I posted shows oil level. They are two different things. It's possible to have the correct oil level and have too low oil pressure if the oil pump isn't functioning properly.

I've looked through the manual and I couldn't find a warning for oil pressure to high, but there is one for oil pressure too low.

If the dealer hooks it up to the computer, they should be able to see what alerts that you've had.

Third line here shows oil pressure. If you have this set up to display, what is the highest PSI that you see while driving?

… if the oil level is close to the upper limit it could trigger a high oil level message.
I just had a 991 in this past week with that error code.
I had to take out about 2 oz of oil and that cleared it.
Like Guenter, I have never seen an "oil pressure too high" message.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
yes, I have the same set up.... I had checked that when the alert came on and it was less than the middle for the oil level. There is another that you click on which shows the pressure high.

I'll take your suggestion and take it to the dealer to read the code. I had a well known independent do the oil change, I can ask him as well to check it. But, with my packing and moving, can't get there for 2 weeks. The alert is off now, so I think I'm ok.

Joanne
db997S - 7 years ago
When you had the oil change, did they change the filter? If they didn't and filled up the oil as if they did, then you could have too much oil. If you keep your records, look to see if they charged you for new filter, O-rings, etc. Even if it is on there, maybe the techs spaced out, got distracted and forgot to change the filter. Just a coincidence you had the oil changed recently and then this light came on.
MikenOH - 7 years ago
IIRC, it's 7.5L of new oil added with a filter; could have been the tech added the whole 8L and that tripped an alarm
yes, they did change the filter. I have no idea how much oil they put in, doesn't have the amount listed on the receipt sad smiley

Joanne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login