Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
First of all, here's Yet Another THANK YOU to Pedro and Stefan for creating Porsche Pedro's Boxster Board (even if you can't call it that...) I feel like a long, dark night of the soul is over now that we're back.

So, about a week after PPBB went away, I was dropping my daughter off at the airport at some ungodly early hour of the morning and wasn't thinking completely straight...I let myself get into a situation where I allowed an SUV slightly in front of me and in the left (of two) lanes to veer over too close to me (in the right lane) and I ended up kissing the curb, hard, with both right wheels. The next day my right-rear went flat as I drove over an exposed manhole cover in one of those ubiquitous road resurfacing areas. I limped the few miles home on the flat, and then had the Box flatbedded to my dealer the next day.

I'd already had one bit of good news: they could repair my wheels for around $120 a pop. As I already had a bunch of other scrapes and boo-boos on my right rims (I can be spacially challenged sometimes), I consider this a bargain. They came out good as new, by the way.

I didn't expect anything especially interesting to come out of the rubber situation, though. I had 16K miles on the original PS2s that came on my '09S; they had another few K left and that was going to be it. But here's what transpired: apparently, Michelin has now revised the designation on new PS2s from N-1 to N-2, and either Porsche no longer permits the N-1's to be installed by the dealer (especially if it would result in mismatched tires), or the dealer cannot even obtain any. So this was beginning to sound like bad news, that I'd have to immediately buy four new tires instead of just two. HOWEVER, before I even needed to think about that, the dealer explained that he managed to get Porsche to spring for two new tires for me (the left side) if I bought the two for the right. So I now have four new PS2 N-2's for the price of two. As I would have been replacing all 4 at full price pretty soon regardless, I consider this to have worked out pretty well.

I'm thinking that perhaps the way Porsche dealt with the tire designation issue in my case might be a good data point for anyone else with the N-1 tires who finds themselves in any similar sort of situation...
Oh hurt me !
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 22 November, 2010, at 9:33:43 am
A great deal for you on those tires and even those fix the rims prices aren't too bad. Did you get an alignment check?

The N-1 to N-2 transition may have occurred because of an EU requirement that kicked in mid-year to reformulate all tires to a low rolling resistance standard. I'm sure you have seen the "save n$ over the life of the tire in fuel costs" ads in the last few months.

And you did want matching tread depth on an axle per Tirerack and the EU standards. I once had a Swiss rental car tire de-laminate in Germany and the rental company had to pay for 2 new tires so they would match...and that was pre-EU.

I've never seen any authoritative info comparing the handling and braking on the new formulations versus the old.
Didn't need an alignment
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Monday, 22 November, 2010, at 11:06:47 am
I hadn't even thought about it at the time, but the service guy at IRA Porsche is very good. I just asked him now, and he says they put it on the machine and everything was showing "in the green", so there wasn't any need for an alignment.
the SM told me the tire N issue is tire distributor related. He named a tire distributor -- the name escapes me -- that guaranteed to be able to supply matching N rated tires for a while (I forget how long) or supply the matching N rated tires at no cost, say if one came in and had to replace less than 4 of his car's existing tires.

And the SM told me this tire distributor recently withdrew the guarantee.

Apparently -- and this was my mistaken assumption -- Porsche had nothing to do with when a while back when I took my Turbo in for new rear tires and the parts manager told me he didn't think he could get a matching pair of new rear tires that also matched the front tires and if so both the front tires and rear tires would have to be replaced. Before I could object he assured me that if this were the case the new front tires would be provided at no cost to me. I assumed (mistakenly it turns out) this was from the CPO warranty on the car.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login