Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
There are two 3D bundles available. One includes a 3D Blue Ray player (without considerable memory). Another instead has a 3D Playstation 3 with 160Gb memory. Similar pricing for either choice. Both are WiFi ready and have enabled internet connectivity.

Is the player in the PS3 comparable in quality to the BR? Would it have similar control features (Pause, Slow motion, etc.)? It seems like the PS3 has much more useability. Are there other considerations that I am missing?

I ask this here because there are a lot of techies and scientific thinkers. smiling smiley
try this site for some help
Harvey in FL - Wednesday, 15 December, 2010, at 3:34:28 pm
being on the cutting edge is very expensive and risky
frogster - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 9:03:10 pm
look at all the people who bought into HD-DVD before it lost its battle with Bluray.
personally i wouldn't touch 3D with a proverbial ten-foot pole for the time being. i seriously doubt it will last either. i've seen 3D and can only say that i am not at all impressed. there are many, many problems with producing 3D content that is easy on the brain. i have a friend in LA that works in the broadcast industry and he has told me of the limitations of 3D so that it doesn't turn your brain into goo. those limitations seriously limit what you can watch.
sorry tony, not the answer you were looking for but i wouldn't waste my money.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: being on the cutting edge is very expensive and risky
SeaNile - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 11:02:37 pm
I wouldn't be tempted to go 3D either.

Are you going with a TV or projector?

I have a 134" screen, JTR speakers and subs, 5000W of power, etc. Home theater can be addictive!!
Re: being on the cutting edge is very expensive and risky
Rev Dennis - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 7:57:05 am
Is the "cutting edge" a $7 sheet from Ollies hung on the wall and a $100 projector I got off craigslist?
expensive to repair. It is much cheaper to get a new TV than repair the old one.

IMHO the Sony 3D is much better than the others that I have seen. It is not based on all the trickery. Instead it adds depth to the show. It felt very comfortable for the extended time that I watched.

My current TV is HD and I have a good sound set up already. Getting a good, more modern TV is my goal. 3D for an occassional BR or sports program is an added bonus, but not a priority. smiling smiley

Thanks for the comments.
One mans comments
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 9:58:36 am
I have 3 flat screen TVs. On the oldest and largest, a 65", I have the full multi-speaker surround sound set up with very good quality component equipment. When I first got it, I played with it as a new toy. Moved it into the new house, had speaker wires built into the house to accommodate it. Tested it once, haven't bothered to turn it on since.

I've seen demos of the 3D in the stores. Fun for a few minutes. Not sure if it is terribly vital to my enjoyment as I have yet to see something that absolutely grabbed me and told me 3D was vital.

The 65" is on its last legs, 3rd set of electronics. Taking a minute to warm up. So the next time it goes I'll have a justification to replace it. And I'd buy very good picture stuff. But doubt I'd bother with the 3D.
Re: Another man's comments
db997S - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 11:42:36 am
I find that my new 47" LED from Sharp is amazing with HDMI connection (got my HDMI cord at overstock.com for really cheap compared with retail). It's almost too good as fake trees on some TV show sets look fake. The picture is almost 3D, but it doesn't come at you like traditional 3D. The depth of view is where it is really noticable. So, if not going projection screen, get a nice LED or LCD with HDMI connections and BluRay DVD (again with HDMI cord). One down side to the LED is that blacks can look a little grayish. LCD may be better, but really dig how thin the LED is. I have mine mounted flush to the wall (nook cut out for the back to fit in), so wanted thin. No glasses needed, no gimmicks that might get tiring after a while.
Re: One mans comments
extanker - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 11:52:42 am
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
I have 3 flat screen TVs. On the oldest and largest, a 65", I have the full multi-speaker surround sound set up with very good quality component equipment. When I first got it, I played with it as a new toy. Moved it into the new house, had speaker wires built into the house to accommodate it. Tested it once, haven't bothered to turn it on since.

I've seen demos of the 3D in the stores. Fun for a few minutes. Not sure if it is terribly vital to my enjoyment as I have yet to see something that absolutely grabbed me and told me 3D was vital.

The 65" is on its last legs, 3rd set of electronics. Taking a minute to warm up. So the next time it goes I'll have a justification to replace it. And I'd buy very good picture stuff. But doubt I'd bother with the 3D.
it took me over 2 weeks to run/hide the wiring for the wifes system....it rarely gets used....a 40 dollar drill bit fell into the wall and is still there.....her flatscreen is a little higher up so i get a neck ache watching it...now she watches tv with me in the manroom..women...
Re: One mans comments
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 12:08:40 pm
I have had a big screen for 20+ years. Bought one of the ~48" RCA (dates me) 3-gun TVs that bounced the signal off a mirror attached to the folding door and thence to a curved screen. It was in the basement where the kids wore out the tapes (dates me) watching Star Wars. Bought it from a store going out of business for $100 more than a 25" TV went for at the time. They didn't sell any because they only took cash and few were willing to shell out $1k for a TV (money was worth more then).

Fast forward and a relative died and I earned a little extra as the administrator of the estate (don't ever volunteer). So I started looking for a new TV knowing that mine was on it's last legs. Before the era of flat screens. Considered projectors, even had the perfect mount for it. But the rear projection Mitsubishi was the thing. So I started looking at how to get one into the basement. Either way I was going down steps and around the corner. Wanted a 50" but it came in one big piece...too big to make the turn. Only at the 65" level did the set come in 2 pieces thus enabling me to get the TV into the basement. One of the best justification discussions I ever give my wife.
I'm still running my 65" HD Mitsu projector....great set
patrick - Saturday, 18 December, 2010, at 9:35:55 pm
I recently had the capacitors replaced out and the guns aligned and the mirror cleaned. Looks great and the picture is still amazing.
Yeah it is a behemoth two part monster and weighs 350 lbs but I have it tucked around a nice entertainment center so you only see the screen and not the depth.
Parts are becoming scare and I thought I would have to bite the bullet on the last problem but Mitsu still had some capacitors around.

As far as 3D TV stay far away from it as it has a long way to go before it will become commercially accepted. Best Buy said consumer sales and acceptance is disappointing and where is the content?
I can say this from experience as I have a closet full of "cutting edge gear" like a Quadraphonic receiver, two Betamaxes, a laser disk player and other stuff .
You may want to check the price and selection for 3D blu-ray disks. Not a lot of content out there at the moment and pricey.

I was at the Dallas Cowboys game last year, when they broadcasted most of the 3rd quarter in 3D on the "jerry tron". What a bust. The crowd cheered loudly, when they stopped the 3D. And 3D glasses stink. So I will be sitting out the 3D at home experience, and hope Jerry's world record for 1st live in stadium 3D football game is the first and only. 3D not ready for my prime time smiling smiley

Current Porsche: PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50

Past: 02 986 S

01 996 Turbo

00 Millenium Coupe

99 996 C2

99 Boxster
Watched the US Open semis and finals and it was like being courtside. You could follow the ball much easier and see every spin, slice, etc. Also the All-Star Game, X-Games, FIFA World Cup, and a few NCAA football games. Very realistic and much easier to swallow than gimmicky 3D movies that overdo the effect by throwing things intentionally at the viewer. Invited a friend over to watch some of the World Cup games and he was floored.

I personally think sports will encourage adoption more than movies or other gimmicks. The barriers right now IMHO are: lack of programming (always an issue for adoption of a new format) and the price of the glasses. Hard to invite 10 buddies over to watch the Super Bowl and expect them to bring their own glasses!

YMMV
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login