Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I emailed CTEK about the safety of using their charger with the cigarette adapter under a car cover.

They said it had to be loose enough to allow air circulation - so that leaves the Porsche car cover out!

Any recommendations for an inside cover that meets their requirements - after all I don't want to burn my car & house down! eye rolling smiley

On a similar topic - preparing my car for its first winter hibernation. I've got the charger; filled the tires to 50 psi; oil was changed 500 miles ago; added Sta-Bil - am I'm missing anything?

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: Car cover for use with CTEK Battery charger?confused smiley
JFP in PA - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 5:52:56 pm
I think they are being overly cautious on this one as the battery is in a fairly enclosed space with in the car, so I don’t see what the air circulation would do. Many of my clients use form fitted covers from multiple vendors with Ctek units, and I've never heard of any problems. I have covers that are made from a flannel like material over my cars, have used them for years. Just make sure your battery is full up with distilled water, throw the cover over it and you should be fine.

“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
IIRC the last time I looked there aren't any filling points

Ed

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
Not Mine!
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 8:49:38 pm
I'll be darned if I can see any removable caps for filling!

I picked my car up in Germany, so I'm guessing I got a "real" Moll & it looks maintenance free to me -am I missing something???

Ed

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: Not Mine! - Yes yours.
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 8:58:50 pm
I can see the two strips of black tape that are covering 3 caps each. You can see the outline of the caps in the tape. Just peel back the tape and stick it back on when you've replace the caps. I figure it keeps any dirt out of the gap around the caps.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
After I read your post...
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 9:06:04 pm
i tried to get the black strips off & they aren't cooperating - the "plastic" cover keeps flaking off & the black part won't budge. Guess after 5 years of staying put they like it the way they are.

If as I suspect I wind up totally destroying the strips I'll cover them with electrical tape - sound good to you?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Ed

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Yes mine!
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 9:47:32 pm
As anyone who knows me, I'm mechanically challenged - simple things for most people are difficult for me eye rolling smiley

Anyway, I got the strips off (yes, they were destroyed) & the cells were completely covered - no need to add distilled water after 5+ years of use. If that isn't maintenance free I don't know what is!

Guenter - Thanks for the assist.

Ed

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Ed, you aren't the first one
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 10:11:32 pm
to think there were no caps. The first time I looked at my battery, I thought the same thing. It wasn't until I took a closer look the second time that I saw the strips. I've checked them regularly. On occasion, I've had to add a bit of distilled water, but not very much. Better to check and know it's alright, than to suddenly be stranded with a dead battery.

So have you started praying for an early Spring? winking smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
Spring can't come too soon......
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 8:18:17 am
My gut is telling me this is going to be a bad winter - it's the 1st time in 9 years of Boxster ownership that I'm putting the car away for the winter. It's going to be a tough time not driving it! sad smiley

Ed

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Interstate Battery in Tennessee has be the primary supplier for US delivered Porsche “OEM” batteries for a long time now. They also similarly supply Nissan, Honda and others with “private label” batteries as well. In fact, the only Nissan (or Infinity) battery that is not from Interstate in the US is the one in the new Leaf Hybrid; and that is a model 34 Optima that Nissan dealers pay $240 each (dealer's cost)…….. Think about that the next time some bitches about how much Optima’s cost……….

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 07:33PM by JFP in PA. (view changes)
My Boxster still has the OEM battery. At first glance, it appears there are no caps to take off. Just check the 2 black strips that are stuck over the caps. I peel them off and stick them back on when I'm done checking the battery level.

My charger is plugged into the cigarette lighter and the unit plugs into the wall. I've never felt it warm enough to even warm my hands when it is on in the Winter.

Here's my hybernation list. It's worked for 4 seasons so far.

- Wash and wax it

- Add Stabile and fill the tank to prevent condensation
- Pump tires up to 55 lb
- Drive it up on an old carpet or Styrofoam squares to keep the wheels off the cement
- Use wood blocks to block the rear wheels

- Put the car in neutral and release the parking brake to relieve stress on brakes, clutch and cables
- Place dessicant bags on towels/rags in the footwells to absorb moisture
- Unlock the front hood (the light will go off in 2 hours) to ensure that can get to the battery in case it fails in the Spring
- Plug the battery maintainer into the cigarette lighter NOTE: use a battery maintainer NOT a trickle charger
- Tape side vents & exhaust (after letting engine cool) with painters masking tape
- Place mouse traps around storage area if necessary
- Put car cover on

- Start praying for an early Spring

Guenter
2014 Boxster S

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 08:49PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Indybox - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 6:02:19 pm
That's has been my winter drill for the past six years including the Porsche cover (snug) and battery maintainer (cigarette lighter plug) and the house still hasn't blowed up! I do check the battery levels at least a couple of times during the winter hibernation. The battery check usually happens when I've managed to get the car out for a long run (engine well and truly warmed up) and the tires off their flat spots when roads are dry and salt free. This year I'm thinking that I might just stay in hibernation for the duration. This was the suggestion from Charles at LN engineering. I've only just had the IMS retrofit bearing installed and he thinks it is better to not periodically start the engine. What little I know about M96 cylinder walls makes me think it might be better to not run the engine in freezing conditions. (The born on date for my '99 is July '99 so I'm rather hoping I don't have a sleeved engine but ya never know eh!) The suggestion from the PCA tech folks, however, was to run the car up to temperature periodically as part of the hibernation drill so that's why I've been doing that these last six years. I'm in Indy right now where the winter weather permits an occasional winter run but I'm probably heading back home to Montreal next year and there's not much hope of getting the car out for a run there in winter.
carlos in Montreal - Thursday, 16 December, 2010, at 6:02:27 pm
The CTEK is never going to get warm enough to burn the car and house down. It's a battery charger not a toaster oven.
But as JFP said it's in a pretty confined place as it is. I've got the CTEK unit outside the car anyway.

Ed

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
2 batteries

Ctec charger sits on the passenger side floorboard

Just like it is right now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login