Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I can only hear it when coming in or out (forward and reverse) of my driveway as the sound "bounces" off the house. At speed, the engine noise drowns it out. It is in the shop as i type. So, not certain what they'll find. Any thoughts? Thanks
I would get rid of your house..grinning smiley

It sounds like a brake caliper could be seizing caused by your Emergency Brake?

MIKELLIG
Hope it is that simple. You related to Henny Youngman?
I believe the parking brake is independent of the regular brakes.

The parking brake shoes are inside the rear drum portion of the brake rotor. Maybe the brake shoes need to be adjusted or replaced?
I'll put my money on a wheel bearing failure. My hearing isn't too great but dragging brakes don't squeak to me... they gggrrr.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 05:55PM by JerryW. (view changes)
A bearing was my fear, too, but they couldn't replicate it, and when I backed into my garage with the top and windows down, couldn't hear it, either. They checked a plate that is part of the braking system, that sometimes causes squeaks, and it was fine. Maybe just pulling the wheel and messing with the brakes unstuck what ever was stuck. No tell-tale marks on the rotors that made them think it was an issue with the brake. Wait to see/hear if it comes back after some driving (four miles from dealer isn't much), taking a mental health day tomorrow.
Diagnosis
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
Does it happen only when you hit a bump?
Does it happen if the car is rolling but the engine is stopped?
Does it only happen when the car has been sitting for a while or after rain?
Does it happen equally when the car is in/out of gear?
If you push down on the corner of the car that has the sound, does it make the sound?
Does it only happen when cold or hot?
Does it happen when the parking brake handle is slightly pulled up (but not enough to stop the car)?

Most likely causes based on what you have said (in roughly decreasing order of likelihood):
- Parking brake dragging
- Rocks or debris caught between rotor heat shield and rotor
- Brakes dragging
- Control arm bushing
- Strut bushing
- Serpentine belt slipping
Re: Diagnosis
db997S - 3 years ago
can only hear it at low speed, window down and sound bouncing off a wall. Really odd, but now it's gone.
which I asked specifically to target the actual problem
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login