Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
So a couple of days ago I couldn't find the second key to the Boxster. It was no big deal because my wife had both keys. I told her I was upset because replacing a lost key could be around $300 as a guess. Was I far off? I also went into my rant about how we have a very limited production car and the rules were different than for a normal car. I said that I guessed that the security systems were the same as in a $200K 911. Was I right?
So you were mad that you thought you lost a key but really you didn’t cause your wife had it? Er Ok. And then you went on a rant on how this was significant because the Boxster was more rare than other regular cars? Um ok. A replacement key from a Porsche dealer can be up to $500 or even more depending on the dealer but that’s not because the car is rare. Same charge can happen at a Benz dealer for a simple sedan. Has nothing to do with the limited production of the car or whether it’s a Boxster or a 911. You can get a replacement for a lost key for much less though if you buy the parts yourself, have the key cut yourself and then just go to the dealer for the $150 final coding to the car though.
Slightly different, but not unrelated, when I bought the car my remote key did not work. Also the little button covers were worn off and at least one of the buttons was broken. So, I tried to get a electric repair place in Portland to solder the new tiny buttons on it and, I got a button cover. But still didn’t work. That was 60$ down the drain. What I did do tho was, get a generic Audi key, a normal key, had a locksmith for 20$, cut the key, and then I placed the tiny chip in it (the thing that looks like a pill - had a chip spot already in it). I don’t need a remote and this new key is way less bulky and annoying. Sure, it doesn’t say Porsche on it, but oh well...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2020 10:50AM by Landsboxster. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login