Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Last week I obtained a 2000 Buick for my 16 year old to drive. One owner - stupid well mechanically maintained. Not so much for appearances - but that is coming back with modest elbow grease. It has 20 years of use, but the Buick looks dang good. The Boxster looks better in every respect and is almost as well maintained. It did get driven less.

The Buick was all but free. (Like under $1k - Thanks Dad.) I had to make a handful of repairs/maintenance but it should serve just fine. In fact, it might turn into my winter beater.

So I am going through stuff. Basically, the Buick was bought several months after the Boxster and cost slightly more than half.

It has intermittent wipers - not the Boxster.
It has home link - not the Boxster.
It has steering wheel controls for the radio - N T B.
I has power everything seats - N T B (in fairness, I like the manual seats better - but I digress)

It has automatic lights, automatic dimming mirrors (that can be turned off - unlike the BMW), heated seats, and robust floor mats - all unlike the Boxster. And no IMSB to worry about. In fact, all reports are that the 3.8L engine is pretty much bulletproof.
In many ways, other than driving dynamics, one could easily state the Buick was the better car. If you went feature by feature - it is not even close. In fact, the Boxster was not close to the feature list of my 1995 Camaro either (and that car WAS within reach (albeit longish) of the Boxster on driving dynamics).

It never ceases to amaze me how much we pay/paid for our cars. Yes, I know none of this is a new or groundbreaking revelation.

And yes, I know, it is still a Buick. But I gotta tell you, it is a nice place to be for a long haul. Comfy in the extreme. Good mileage etc. I could get used to the "land yacht" style of driving. Like a Barcalounger on wheels. It actually reminds me of my first driving experiences. Olds Cutlasses (X 3), a Buick Electra 225. I also truly enjoyed my VW Bugs (X 4) - I think I followed that path.

But I still truly enjoy driving the Boxster A LOT.

But Every task its tool, every tool its task....
Funny, some would say that your Boxster has too many "fancy" things for a sports car. If you get a 2009 or newer, you don't have the IMS and many of those things you mention are options in "convenience" packages. I have a homelink type thing, heated seats and steering wheel, ventilated seats, PCM for its time, etc. As far as ride, even my 1999 Base Boxster was great on roadtrips. Keep suspension stock, and all's good, in my book. Took it on a trip from DC up to the coast of Maine and back. Not a single complaint. Plenty of room, too. Wouldn't want a Barcalounger ever.
Hmmm
JM-Stamford,CT - 3 years ago
It remains passing strange that stuff that is standard on all manner of pedestrian cars remain as high cost options on P-cars, if the options are even available. And I am talking about a 20 year old Buick remember.

If alone, I would always take the Boxster or the 3-series for a road trip. I was "commuting" bi-weekly about 7 hours each way. I used several different cars over time. The Boxster, the 3-Series, the Subaru SUV, and the SAAB 9-3. The entire trip was on the interstates so really the only concern was utility and comfort. If I had to take that trip today I would take the BMW 3-Series. It is an automatic, the seat is objectively more comfortable, it has all the bluetooth stuff - all because it is an otherwise boring interstate hwy trip.

If I have to travel the same route with 3 people, I would strongly consider the Buick. The 3-series is too small in the back. The SUV is uncomfortable to drive long distance - for all concerned. The SAAB would be the second choice.

If you are in traffic on the interstate - say between NY and DC - there is much to be said for a Barcalounger.
Re: Hmmm
TheFarmer - 3 years ago
I spent many years on the Washington Beltway in my '05 Boxster. It was a joy to drive - but not a joy of a drive. It is really interesting to follow this board through the generations. But in the end, these cars are just fun to drive. (I now have the Boxster in the garage alongside a Chevy Volt. I take the Volt everywhere, but when I need a satisfying, happy drive, I take the Boxster.) I really want a Taycan!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login